Herbal home remedies for urinary incontinence
HOME REMEDIES FOR URINARY INCONTINENCE
Phythoterapy: Herbal medicine for urinary incontinence
Phytotherapy for urinary incontinence focuses on the use of a series of plants whose function is based on:
- Anti-inflammatory plants that improve the inflammations of the bladder.
- Astringent plants that reduce urine production.
- Anti depressing and tranquilizing plants
- Plants with estrogenic properties that diminish the effects of the menopause.
- Plants to avoid constipation that makes incontinence worse.
Plants for urinary incontinence
Photo of bearberry with leaves and fruits
- Bearberry (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) This plant is suitable for treatment of diseases such as inflammation of urethra (urethritis) of the bladder (cystitis), urinary tract irritation and acts on the need to urinate repeatedly generating these urinary disorders
- Agrimony (Agrimony eupatoria) For its astringent properties it is useful to decrease the production of urine(Decoction of 10% of dry leaves for 5 minutes. Take 10 tablespoons per day spread over several shots)
Horse chestnut leaves and flowers
- Horse chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum) The bark of this tree is astringent and is useful for inflammation of the prostate so it is appropriate in the treatment of overflow incontinence or urge incontinence.
- Kermes oak (Quercus coccifera) The bark or the corns of this Mediterranean sharp shrub, like its cousin, the oak, has astringent properties. (Decoction of bark of a teaspoon of bark per 10 minutes (three small glasses a day)
- Cinnamon (Cinnamomum) Cinnamon has astringent properties, especially suitable to treat nocturnal incontinence (Chew a small branch of this plant)
- Maize (Zea mays) the maize silk can prevent urinary incontinence and the infantile nocturnal enuresis. (Decoction for 20 minutes of two spoonfuls of maize silks in a water cup. Take half a teaspoon every 4 hours)
- Saint John’s wort: (Hypericum perforatum L.) Suitable for the treatment of incontinence caused by nerve problems or depression (10 drops of tincture three times daily) (A teaspoon of crushed flowers two times a day) See contraindications. (More information on depression)
- Passiflora/Passion flower (Passiflora caeurulea) To remedy incontinence caused by nerve problems or related to menopause or PMS. (More information on menopause / depression)
- Carob tree (Ceratonia siliqua) The seeds and pods of this tree may prevent the occurrence of constipation. With the possible problem of fecal impaction, one of the reasons causing overflow incontinence. (Decoction of 30 gr. Carob fragments per liter of water for 30 minutes. Strain and take the desired amount) (Do not include the crust: it has opposite properties) (More information on constipation)
- Oak (Quercus robur): It is one of the best astringents (Decoction of a teaspoon of bark per cup of water for 10 minutes (three small glasses a day)
Related information: Vitamins, minerals and other supplements for incontinence
16 July, 2021