Uses and benefits of cinnamon essential oil
We know cinnamon especially as a spice in the kitchen and for the properties that the bark of this tree has. However, from this bark, cinnamon essential oil is used, which is extracted because of its medicinal and aromatic properties.
Cinnamon can come from different species, although the most recognized is that obtained from tree that comes from Sri Lanca (Cinnamomum verum = Cinnamomum zeylanicum).
This plant grows spontaneously in Ceylon and other places in the Moluccas. Nowadays cinnamon cultivation is found in many warm countries
What is cinnamon essential oil?
Cinnamon essential oil is an oil that is obtained by steam applied to the leaves or branches of cinnamon (Cinnamomun sp.)
Types of cinnamon essential oil?
There are some types of this oil, depending on the tree and the part of the tree they are extracted from:
- Ceylon cinnamon essential oil : Extracted from Ceylon cinnamon tree (Cinnamomum verum): Richer in essential oil, containing mainly cinnamaldehyde and eugenol. Cinnamaldehyde and eugenol are attributed with anti-bacterial and anti-fungical properties,
- Chinese cinnamon essential oil Extracted from chinese cinnamon (Cinnamomum cassia): Not so rich as the previous one in essential oil, but it contains more cinnamaldehyde
What is cinnamon essential oil used for?
- The industry uses cinnamon for its antifungal and antibacterial properties. Be part of the composition of numerous products related to mouth hygiene. (dentifrices, mouthwashes, etc.)
- In pharmacy the essential oil is used in the composition of cold and cold syrups and nasal vaporizers.
- The food industry uses the essential oil for food preservation and its richness in aromas and to give flavor and smell to numerous preparations, including soft drinks such as cola, chewing gum or numerous alcoholic beverages.
- Its richness in fragrances makes it very suitable in the perfume industry, being used in the production of perfumes, soaps, shampoos, etc.
Main medicinal properties of cinnamon essential oil
Because of the action of eugenol and cinnamaldehyde, cinnamon essential oil is considered to be effective as:
Some studies are being done about the possible use of this essential oil, particularly on the effect of cinnamaldehyde in the treatment of diabetes, alzheimer and tumorous cells focused treatment.
Other studies are centered on the possibility that eugenol content of this essential oil could be useful to stop osteoporosis. Eugenol is thought to foster bone cells development.
Toxicity of cinnamon essential oil
It is irritating to the skin
More information on essential oils
19 November, 2019