Herbal remedies for nail fungus
Fungal nail treatments
The primary role of herbal medicine for nail fungus treatment is to use those plants with the following purposes:
– Antibacterial and antifungal plants that eliminate or prevent the formation of fungi or the growth of bacteria.
– Plants that provide those adequate nutrients for good health of the nails.
Phytotherapy: Medicinal plant remedies for nail fungus
Topical treatment nail fungus
Among the main plants that could be used, we could mention the following:
– Lemon tree (Citrus limonum) Because of its antibacterial properties, it is appropriate to eliminate nail fungus from the hands or feet. (Soak nails in lemon juice, letting the leaves dry slowly)
– Mustard (Brassica nigra) Sinapized foot baths or foot baths with mustard have been used to treat nail fungus (15-30g of mustard flour in 1 liter of hot water for 10 minutes. Take foo tbaths)
Photo of black mustard seeds (Brassica nigra)
– Chamomile: (Matricaria chamomilla) Chamomile is another plant whose antiseptic properties are well recognized. (Make an well loaded infusion with the flowering tops. Perform nail baths for about 5 minutes. Do not dry)
– Garlic (Allium sativum) An effective and very simple remedy is to rub a clove of garlic on your nails. Garlic is one of the best germicides.
– Nettle: (Urtica urens) Infusion at room temperature for 3 hours of a good bunch of nettles in a bucket of water. Heat and perform foot baths.
– Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) The fungicidal properties of cinnamon are useful in the treatment of foot fungus, especially for athlete’s foot and nail fungus. (Make a foot bath with the liquid from the infusion of two tablespoonfuls of shredded cinnamon in a couple of liters of water.)
– Cloves (Eugenia caryophyllata) (Wash the affected area with a gauze soaked with the liquid from the infusion of some cloves in a liter of water)
Tips to avoid nail fungus
To prevent the occurrence of nail fungus we would have to consider the following tips:
– Wear proper footwear: Discard tight footwear, because it obstructs blood flow and normal ventilation of the foot. You must avoid excessive sweat to be accumulated in this area. You should wear natural leather shoes allowing sweat to evaporate. Sneakers are undesirable. The use of athletic footwear should be restricted for sports.
Change your shoes regularly, even a couple of times a day, giving time for the shoes to be aired. Make use of cotton socks to absorb sweat. Prevent resting your foot on soil that could be contaminated by bacteria or fungi. The use of bath slippers in public places is essential.
– Keep your nails clean and cut properly: You should clean your finger and toenails properly to prevent possible infections. Cut your nails once a week at least.
It is recommended to do your nails in a good and reliable nail saloon and provide hand and feet massages to activate blood circulation. Use the proper massage oils that will help to keep your nails well hydrated.
Nails should be cut with well sharp scissors. Do not use metallic nail files but cardboard ones. File them well from outside to inside.
Toenails must be cut horizontally, never shape them in circular form, to avoid them to be lodged in the flesh when they grow up. Avoiding nail biting, especially in children.
– Dry your nails properly: After washing your hands or feet, dry them properly to avoid fungus from taking advantage of excess of moisture.
More information about nail fungus and its natural treatment.