RHUBARB STEW WITH SEITAN RECIPE
– 300 grams of garden rhubarb (petioles) washed and chopped
– 400 grams of sliced seitan
– 3 large onions
– 2 carrots
– 1 potato
– 2 bay leaves
Did you know that…
The rhubarb we eat is called “garden rhubarb”, while there are other species with therapeutic properties whose benefits are found in their rhizomes.
Chinese rhubarb (Rheum officinale Baillon and Rheum palmatum) for example, has been used for centuries in traditional Chinese medicine to cure constipation, hemorrhoids and to tone the liver.
* More information on rhubarb species
Preparation of the stew of seitan with rhubarb:
– Blanch the rhubarb with boiling water for 5 minutes and drain (discard the water).
– Sauté the onion with the olive oil, the bay leaf and a pinch of salt, over medium heat until golden.
– Add the seitan, chopped carrots, diced potatoes, scalded rhubarb and garlic. Stir.
– Cook over medium heat with lid for 40 minutes and serve.
Healthy main course for vegetarians, nutritious, satiating and complete.
Seitan is the main protein, although we must complete the contribution with amino acids from the protein of the cereal (bread, flour), egg, or making some dairy dessert. In this way we will get a protein of high biological value.
Rhubarb gives fiber with a slight laxative effect, as this plant contains cathartic components (which accelerate defecation)
Being a long cooking dish, we can taste the natural sweetness of the carrot, because, with the high temperature, their chains of carbohydrates are separated, releasing glucose that provides sweet taste to this vegetable.
More recipes and information on rhubard.
22 April, 2019