Properties of rice
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF RICE
PHYTOTHERAPY: Preparations with rice for the health
RICE, besides being a major source of dietary energy, constitutes a natural medicine used mainly as a popular remedy.
This is what has led to the false belief that the rice grain is astringent and people who has problems in discharging the bowel do not have to eat rice.
- Antigastritic and demulcent: Rice is very rich in starch. The starch, mixed with water, has demulcent properties. Demulcent components are the ones that protect the internal mucous or the external skin.
Stopping the diarrhoea: Water of rice?
Rice, specially the whole version, is rich in fibers, which facilitates the intestinal transit. However, if we prepare a “water of rice” we will secure the opposite effect.
In order to prepare this remedy we would boil rice with water in a proportion of a part of rice and 3 of water, during 15 minutes. After boiling, let it cool, strain it and drink the liquid. (Optionally a spoonful of flour of rice by cup can be given him to the patient)
This preparation is especially interesting for small children who are very prone to undergo diarrheas produced by intestinal infections. Besides stopping the diarrhea, the “water of rice” will help to rehydrate the small ones.
This same preparation this very used in the ayurvédica medicine of India, to not only fight the diarrhoea, but also in cases of fever, inflammations of the internal causes by contaminated or irritating products (disentería), difficult or painful urination (disuria), etc.
To fight dehydration and heat strokes
It would be used to cut the diarrhea, to clear the thirst and to hydrate the organism in the days of much heat. To take two or three glasses to the day.
Rice is an aid to lose weight
- Against the excess of liquids of the organism: the potassium wealth of the whole rice turns out to be very suitable to eliminate water.We know that the potassium resists sodium and contributes to the elimination of leftover liquids of the organism.
This can be interesting in a series of corporal problems:
Rice contributes to diminish the cholesterol and prevents the formation of kidney stones
- Cholesterol: The presence of gamna- oryzanol in whole rice ensures that the ingestion of this cereal can become an aid to reduce the cholesterol levels (LDL) in the blood; it will increase cholesterol HDL and diminish the triglycerides.
Anyway, those people who have high cholesterol levels (over 200 mg) should better resort to complements than contain this principle (see more information) or eat red yeast rice.
- Kidney stones: Studies carried out in Japan demonstrated that the daily ingestion of a pair of spoonfuls of rice bran helps to eliminate and prevent the formation of kidney stones.
These properties appear because of the presence of fitates and fític acid, elements that inhibit absorption of calcium. These same properties are counter-productive in those people who need to assimilate more calcium of the normal, in which case the habitual ingestion of this complement is not advisable.
In external use, rice helps to cure problems of the skin
- Diaper dermatitis: The crushed and dry starch of rice constitutes a good anti-inflammatory and astringent, able to absorb the humidity and to diminish the pruritus and the inflammation of the baby in the diaper dermatitis.
This powder constitutes a natural alternative to talc powders. (Apply rice dust, on sale in pharmacies and herbalist's shops, on the inflamed zone, after the change of diapers) (Powder of rice can be made at home by crushing it with a grinder)
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.