- 1 Non recommended food for Crohn’s disease
- 1.1 NON ADEQUATE FOOD FOR CROHN’S DISEASE
- 1.2 Foods that should not be eaten with Crohn’s disease:
- 1.3 Legumes with Crohn’s disease
- 1.4 Greasy meats with Crohn’s disease
- 1.5 Spirits with Crohn’s disease
- 1.6 Condiments or spices with Crohn’s disease
- 1.7 Can you take sweets with Crohn’s disease?
- 1.8 Is bran adequate with Crohn’s disease?
- 1.9 Tips for the attacks
Non recommended food for Crohn’s disease
NON ADEQUATE FOOD FOR CROHN’S DISEASE
Some non-recommended products in Crohn’s disease diet
Foods that should not be eaten with Crohn’s disease:
Legumes with Crohn’s disease
Legumes contain too high amounts of insoluble fiber, reason why they will normally produce adverse reactions, especially during the attacks.
- Foods like peas, chickpeas or beans will have to be eaten with extreme prudence and always after having tested their tolerance in each patient. All them must be well-cooked.
- Soy, as well as its derivatives, can cause intolerances and should be tested in small doses.
Greasy meats with Crohn’s disease
They produce inflammation and mucus in the intestine of these patients. Meats that contain fats like duck, pig, or lamb meat, will have to be avoided. Also bacon, sausages, mortadella, salami, etc.
- Lean beef or skinless chicken can be eaten roasted, but they are inadequate when fried. These meats are adequate to supply the deficiency of vitamin B12.
- Individual tolerance to ham should be tested, both cured and regular ham.
Spirits with Crohn’s disease
Chocolate and other stimulants, such as coffee, must be rejected in Crohn’s disease diet
Spirits and other stimulating drinks like coffee or cacao should be avoided.
- Red wine or beer are sometimes tolerated and individual tolerance to these beverages should be tested.
- Besides water, patients can drink apple juice.
Condiments or spices with Crohn’s disease
Hot spices should be avoided (chilli, paprika, etc), but other spices can be used, like sweet bay, thyme, salt or parsley.
Can you take sweets with Crohn’s disease?
Sweets products rich in whole milk derivatives (pasta with cream, ice cream, high-fat sweets, cakes, pastries, etc.) should Not be included in the diet of these patients.
- You can use sugar or honey to sweeten food.
Is bran adequate with Crohn’s disease?
Bran is not good because it worsens the symptoms of this disease.
Tips for the attacks
During attacks of Crohn’s disease the presence of strong stomach pains, with colic and diarrhea, makes it very difficult to eat properly. It is important at this stage, to consider the following tips:
- Drink plenty of water: In order to avoid dehydration a minimum of 2 liters of water should be drunk daily.
- Eat light foods: During these attacks it is important to eat light foods in small amounts. Among the most suitable ones, we can mention boiled carrots and apples.
- Eat low-fat and low-fiber food
* Go on reading: Recommended food for Crohn’s disease
More information on Crohn’s disease.
20 March, 2022