What are beetroots?
Beet, red beet, beetroot or garden beet is the root of the plant of the same name (Beta vulgaris). Beet leaves are also eaten. This food is considered a vegetable.
The edible root of beets are rounded
They are red or deep pink on the outside and inside.
Their size is larger than radishes.
They have a mild and very sweet flavor.
What are the main nutrients of beets?
As an energy source, 100 grams of beets contribute with 43 kcal.
Their proportion of nutrients is divided into:
- More than 87% is water.
- A 0.17% fat.
- About 1.6% of proteins.
- Almost 10% carbohydrate.
- A 2.8% fiber.
Vitamins and minerals in beets
Beets are very rich in potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium. They have small amounts of iron and zinc.
Beets contain a lot of vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin B9. They also have small amounts of other B vitamins and vitamin E.
Photo of beetroots
Composition of beets
Nutritional characteristics of beets
- Beet has a high water content.
- It gives us energy in the form of calories, which help us to maintain vitality.
- It contains little fat, but of high quality and with many health benefits.
- It has a moderate protein content.
- It is high in carbohydrates, especially starches.
- It has a high fiber content.
- It helps to remove toxins from our body, because it contains potassium.
- It helps maintain our brain function, because it contains phosphorus. In addition, together with calcium, it maintains the balance of the formation of strong bones.
- Because of its magnesium content, it helps the contraction and relaxation of muscles.
- Due to its content in B vitamins, particularly vitamin B9, it helps us get energy from fat, protein and carbohydrate intake to properly grow and maintain our defenses in good condition.
- It protects the skin and helps keep it healthy, because of vitamin A.
- It protects us from colds and helps heal wounds, because it contains vitamin C.
- It protects us from the toxins and aging, because of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and zinc
Beet in the kitchen:
More information about other foods and nutrition.
30 April, 2022