Rye cooking instructions
How to cook the grain of rye?
- Wash the rye with water several times, changing the water 2 or 3 times.
- Soak the rye grains in water for 812 hours.
- Boil the grain, like it were oats or rice (3 cups water per cup of rye). Cook over medium heat and cover for 4560 minutes.
Rye is ready to add to preparations such as stir-fries, salads, paella, veggie burgers…!
Trivia: I knew that…
- Rye bread stays fresh longer than soft wheat.
- From rye we obtain a dark bread, very popular in northern European countries, called Knäckebrot.
- Pumpernickel bread is a typical Eastern countries and Scandinavian bread made with rye.
- In France, a cake made with honey, spices and rye flour is called pain d’epice or gingerbread (gingerbread).
More information on rye.
This article was endorsed by Elisenda Carballido - Dietitian nutritionist. Postgraduate in Phytotherapy and master in Nutrition and Metabolism.
Written by Editorial Botanical-online team in charge of content writing
17 May, 2021