How to make pain d’epice or ginger bread
What is pain d’épice o ginger bread?
It is a French sweet rye cake with spices
How to make pain d’épice o ginger bread
– 3 cups whole wheat flour
– 1 cup rye flour
– 1 cup water
– ½ teaspoon salt
– 60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
– 1 egg
– 350g of honey
– 2 ½ teaspoons baking soda (or 1 packet of yeast)
“Pinches” of spices:
– 1 tablespoon candied orange peel (put in water overnight, boil with sugar and, soak with a little of the juice, let it reduce).
– 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
– 1 and ½ teaspoon ginger juice (grate and squeeze)
– ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
– ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
– ¼ teaspoon cumin
– ½ teaspoon anise seeds
– Preheat oven to 180 ° C.
– Mix the flour, rye flour, baking soda, ground spices and salt in a bowl. Sprinkle with anise seeds.
– Beat or knead the butter and egg.
– Add water and mix.
– Add the flour and spices with the help of a strainer or sieve. Add gradually to be unten all ingredients.
It is important that the flour, butter and eggs (flour and fat) are well mixed, because it will determine the fluffiness of the cake.
– Add the honey (you can mix jam) and candied orange.
– Place in a baking dish greased with butter and dusted with flour.
– Bake for 60 minutes at 180 ° C, or until a toothpick puncture in the center comes out clean.
– Rest for 10 minutes and pour into a bowl to aerate and cool completely finished.
It can be wrapped in plastic and stored for at least a week, during this time the flavors come together and you get a more flavory and a denser mass.
If frozen, it can be stored for 2 months.
More information about rye.
11 August, 2021