Wash and prepare strawberries
Strawberries as food
Strawberries (Fragaria vesca L.) are a very tasty and nutritious food, rich in vitamins and minerals. They are one of the main spring fruits, so they should not be missing from the usual diet during this season of the year.
When is strawberry season?
Although they can be eaten throughout the year, the strawberry season lasts from the end of March to the end of August. The rest of the year we have greenhouse strawberries that have much less flavor than the seasonal ones.
Can strawberries be frozen?
Strawberries also keep frozen for up to 12 months, and are perfect for making homemade sugar-free sorbets.
Importance of washing strawberries
Strawberries are one of the fruits that has the most bad reputation in terms of pesticide content. Numerous organizations report, and studies confirm, that these fruits are one of those that conserve the most pesticide residues. These chemicals can have hormonal effects on the body or they can be difficult to remove.
The best way to avoid its ingestion is to consume strawberries that are organically grown or grown in the garden itself. In the case of conventional strawberries, it is important to wash them well with vinegar. To do this, the steps to follow are:
How to wash strawberries from pesticides
- Soak whole strawberries in water with plenty of vinegar for 20 minutes. Stir well.
- Stir again, discard the dirty water and rinse the fruit with clean water again.
- Once this is done, it has been possible to remove a good part of the pesticides from the fruit. Then you can cut the leaves and start preparing to serve.
Ways to eat strawberries and easy recipes
- To make a sorbet, simply mash the frozen strawberries with a little ice in a powerful blender. It should be prepared 3-5 minutes before serving.
- They go well with other fruits, in fruit salads, smoothies, and with dairy products.
What do strawberries bring us?
These fruits, very rich in vitamin C, have anti-anemic and restorative properties. They are well suited for the growing season. They are capable of inhibiting those carcinogenic substances that can attack healthy cells and contain a lot of salicylic acid, which is why they can be considered almost a “natural Aspirin“.
It is very useful to eat these fruits as a dessert from time to time and a cleansing diet with this food can be a good way to eliminate toxins from the body or lose a few extra kilos.
More information on strawberries
6 August, 2021