What is clove?
Clove is the fruit of a plant (Eugenia caryophyllata) belonging to the family of Myrtaceae. All plants of this family are very rich in essential oils, and this feature is distinguished by the strong aroma they produce.
The fruits of the plant are used in food as aromatic spice, and they also have medicinal uses in herbal medicine.
The fruits contain up to 20% essential oil. The essential oil of clove is rich in eugenol, being the richest plant in this component.
Eugenol gives this spice antiseptic, antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and carminative properties.
It is used to treat bad breath, toothache, stomach pain, gas, cramps, abdominal pain, etc.
What are the contraindications of clove?
– Gastritis and digestive ulcers: Clove is very rich in eugenol, a component which in high doses can be irritating to the digestive mucosa. Clove high doses are not advised in people with gastritis and ulcers which can increase pain symptoms.
– Allergy: Some people may be allergic to clove and should not try this plant remedies.
– Treatment with anticoagulants: Treatments with clove essential oil should not be combined with other anticoagulant medicines or plants. Its effects can increase the effects of other drugs for the heart or for clotting.
This is due to the antiplatelet effects of eugenol. Consult your doctor if you have concerns about your treatment.
– Surgery: because it affects blood clotting, do not take this remedy before an operation.
Is smoking clove a good remedy to quit tobacco?
The American Lung Association strongly discourages this practice as this spice combustion produces even more toxic substances than smoking tobacco.In addition, smoking clove dries your throat and force you to inhale strongly.
This practice can cause lung infections and other respiratory problems.
* More information: Plants for quitting tobacco.
Clove in pregnancy and lactation
– NO treatments can be made with clove during pregnancy and lactation.
* More information: Plants and pregnancy.
Clove essential oil for children?
The essential oil orally is absolutely contraindicated in children. It can cause serious side effects such as seizures, liver damage and fluid imbalances in the body.
More information on clove.
21 November, 2023