- 1 Health benefits of milk thistle (Silybum marianum (L.) Gaertn.)
- 2 MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF MILK THISTLE
- 3 Milk thistle for the AIDS virus
- 4 Food properties of milk thistle
Health benefits of milk thistle (Silybum marianum (L.) Gaertn.)
MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF MILK THISTLE
Milk thistle is one of the best medicines for your liver
Milk thistle plant
– To ease liver congestion we use not only the roots and stem but the leaves juice too by crushing them in the desired proportion. The compounds contained in this plant, especially silymarin, helps fight liver degeneration by means of helping the body eliminate toxins that could be responsible for the development of cirrhosis or hepatitis.
Moreover, this plant helps reduce liver inflammation, counteracts the effects of alcohol and it is able to regenerate damaged cells. (Take some milk thistle supplement. On sale in pharmacies of herbalists) (Eat milk thistle young leaves in salads)
– Its effectiveness as an antidote against Amanita venom has been tested in order to prevent these fungi toxins can destroy the liver. In the same way, dandelion can be used to treat chemical poisoning.
– Alcoholism: Milk thistle, by the presence in the seeds of a component called silymarin, is a remedy for the treatment of liver diseases, among which we might mention hepatitis, liver failure and cirrhosis produced by excess of alcohol.
Milk thistle preparations to protect liver
A drawing of milk thistle
You can choose of the following preparations:
– Roots, stems, and the juice of crushed leaves to the desired ratio.
– 1 ml of tincture 3 times daily
– Infusion of a spoonful of mashed fruit per cup of water for 1 / 4 of an hour. Take three cups a day for 1 or 2 months
– There are silymarin supplements that can be taken according to the information leaflet.
See: Milk thistle for the liver / How to take milk thistle
Milk thistle for your gallbladder
In the same way, milk thistle preparation are very useful for gallbladder. For gallstones: It helps to ensure that stones are not formed in the gallbladder (1 ml of tincture 3 times daily)
Milk thistle for hair loss
The tender leaves of milk thistle, such as dandelion leaves, are highly recommended edible wild plants which are underused. They are very reach in iron that can be very helpful in the treatment of baldness because it prevents seborrhea , dandruff or dry hair. (Eat tender fresh leaves in salad)
Is milk thistle adequate to increase milk production in lactant women?
Milk thistle constitutes one of the main galactagogue plants traditionally used. Its use increases breast milk. (Decoction of a teaspoon of seeds per cup of water for 10 minutes. Take a couple of cups a day.)
Attention: Although historically milk thistle has been used to improve the flow of breast milk, the fact is that currently there are not enough adequate and well controlled studies in humans, so it is not recommended for consumption during pregnancy or lactations.
Photo a flower head of Silybum marianum
Milk thistle for hypotension
To cure low blood pressure we can make a remedy by means of cooking its fruits in a proportion of 30 grams per litter.
Milk thistle for the AIDS virus
The protection provided by this plant to the liver can be effective to help combat the destructive effects that AIDS virus drugs have on liver.
Other properties of milk thistle
Among other properties of milk thistle we can point out the following:
– Haemostatic: Milk thistle helps to stop bleeding (such as in nose bleeding)
Food properties of milk thistle
Thistle in the kitchen
Milk thistle can be considered an edible wild plant. Its tender leaves can be prepared in salads once their edge is cut to remove the thorns.
Its leaves, roots and flower heads can be eaten boiled. They are not only highly beneficial for the liver but they constitute a good antioxidant, with properties to prevent the formation of cancerous tumors.
It is an edible wild plant whose young leaves can be added to salads and exert a restorative function of liver cells and help the body to eliminate toxins, which is particularly interesting when the diseased liver needs this help.
*More information: Thistle nutritional value
VIDEO OF MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF MILK THISTLEMore information about milk thistle.
28 April, 2022