Herbal treatment for Restless Legs Syndrome
The treatment of Restless Legs Syndrome is aimed at reducing the stress of people affected. It can remedy any sleep disorders that may occur.
Conventional treatment usually focuses on the administration of sedatives or narcotics. Natural treatments tend to use alternatives which, under the supervision of the physician can serve to reduce or supplement conventional treatments.
Among all the possible natural treatments, we could mention the following:
Phytotherapy: Herbal remedies for Restless Legs Syndrome
Phytotherapy in the treatment of restless legs syndrome focuses on the use of plants with the following purposes:
- Plants favoring sleep, The use of plants such as lemon, lemon balm, mint, etc. can be very helpful. (See more information about the natural treatment of insomnia)
- Plants favoring relaxation
Internal preparations with medicinal plants to treat Restless Legs syndrome
Among all the right plants, we could could include the following:
- Valerian: (Valeriana officinalis) It helps you to sleep well. (Infusion of a teaspoonful for a cup of water before bedtime) (Take capsules of the dry plant according to the patient information leaflet two hours before going to bed. On sale in pharmacies and herbalists’) (We must bear in mind that this plant has depressant properties and it should not be used when the affected people also have sleep apnea)
- St. John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum) A prolong usage – about 4 or 6 months – constitutes a good tonic for the nervous system. Differently to other sedatives, it has no side effects since no accumulation of toxins in the blood or liver has been detected, so it can be used as a remedy for nervousness, anxiety, Restless Legs Syndrome, etc. (A tea spoonful of smashed flowers 2 times every day) (It should not be used when the affected people also have sleep apnea)
- Ginseng (Panax ginseng) (200 to 500 mg daily of panax ginseng extract divided in two doses) (It should not be used when the affected people also have sleep apnea)
Other preparations with non-depressant plants are:
- Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) It is very useful for all kinds of nervous system (Infusion of a pinch of dried leaves in a glass of water for 1 / 4 hour. (3 glasses per day)
- Linden (Tilia europaea, T. platyphylos, T. cordata) One of the most used against “Nerve problems” (Infusion of a tablespoonful of dried flowers per cup of water. Take 3 or 4 glasses a day, depending on how you feel)
- Hawthorn (Crataegus oxycantha, C monogyna) Particularly for sleeping and persona anxiety (Infusion of a spoonful of dried flowers per cup of water. Take a couple of cups a day) (There are preparations in pharmacies and herbalists of this plant in combination with others such as passionflower or valerian. Take it according to the patient’s leaflet)
- Kava kava (Piper methysticum) It eliminates stress and facilitates the return to work. (You can take tablets available in pharmacies or health food stores according to the patient’s leaflet)
Internal preparations for Restless Legs syndrome
- Basil (Ocimum basilicum) Dilute an infusion of dried flowers in the water of the bath.
More information about Restless Legs Syndrome remedies.
9 March, 2021