- 1 Recipe and benefits of carob chocolate
- 1.1 CAROB HOT CHOCOLATE NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS
- 1.2 What is carob hot chocolate?
- 1.3 Benefits of carob hot chocolate
- 1.4 Does carob have too much sugar?
- 1.5 CAROB HOT CHOCOLATE RECIPE
- 1.6 Ingredients for carob hot chocolate
- 1.7 Preparation of carob hot chocolate
- 1.8 Drink cacao with carob, doubly rich !!!
- 1.9 Carob tree as a substitute for chocolate
Recipe and benefits of carob chocolate
CAROB HOT CHOCOLATE NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS
What is carob hot chocolate?
Carob hot chocolate is a recipe without cocoa, which is made from very simple and serves as a substitute of hot chocolate. It is suitable, for example, when the stimulating effect of cocoa or as a natural sweet drink is not interesting.
Benefits of carob hot chocolate
Among the benefits that carob has, mainly in relation to cocoa, we have:
- Carob is easier to digest, low in fat and protein. While cocoa contains 20% fat, carob has less than 1%
- Carob improves digestive health by its antioxidant properties, its soluble fiber and its prebiotic effect
- It is very rich in calcium. Two teaspoons of carob provide almost 100mg of calcium, a considerable amount. In addition this calcium is accompanied by magnesium.
Photo of carob bean chocolate (without cocoa), prepared according to the recipe of this article
Does carob have too much sugar?
It is NOT true that carob contains too much sugar so that it is harmful. Looking at the composition of the carob flour, we see that it contains almost half of sugars (45%), which might suggest that it is a sugar rich food. However, sugar from natural foods should not be confused with refined sugar.
Carob sugars are not harmful because they are accompanied by a very high fiber content (40%), which regulates the assimilation of hydrates and causes a low glycemic index.
* More information: Carob for diabetes
CAROB HOT CHOCOLATE RECIPE
Photo of carob flour and carob beans
Ingredients for carob hot chocolate
2 teaspoons of carob flour per cup
- Vegetable drink enriched with calcium or milk
Preparation of carob hot chocolate
Measure the amount of vegetable drink and pour practically all the liquid in a pot, which will be heated.
While heating the vegetable drink, dilute the carob aside, in a cup, with a little drink at room temperature or warm. If the milk is very cold it will be more difficult to dilute, but in general, unlike cocoa, carob dissolves well in cold or temperate liquids, without causing lumps.
Once we have diluted the carob, we pour it along with the milk, in the fire. Carob thickens best when heated slightly (its fiber acquires a more gelatinous consistency when giving it temperature)
Reduce the intensity of the fire and stir until the desired thickness is reached.
Photo of hot chocolate from carob with cacao
Drink cacao with carob, doubly rich !!!
It is true that carob is very nutritious, but we can not forget the great properties of pure cocoa powder, which is very rich in magnesium, potassium and antioxidants.
For this reason, the combination of cocoa and carob is doubly rich and beneficial. Carob is the best natural sweetener we can add hot chocolate.
The ratio would be 2 teaspoons cocoa and 1 carob, although according to tastes, it may vary.
Carob tree as a substitute for chocolate
Today, carob is used as a substitute for chocolate, as it is a sweet and delicious alternative, which lacks the stimulating properties of cocoa.