Colman’s mustard sauce benefits and recipe
ENGLISH MUSTARD SAUCE RECIPE
It consists of a soft mustard, derived from the strong English mustard sauce (known as Colman’s mustard).
It is prepared with white mustard (Sinapis alba), and other spices. It is the sauce used to flavor the popular “hot dogs”.
Ingredients of Colman’s mustard
- 120g. of ground white mustard seeds.
- 175ml. of water
- 2 tablespoons turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Preparation of Colman’s mustard
- Mix the crushed white mustard seed with water. Remove and let stand 15 minutes. Mustard contains a type of fiber called mucilage, with emollient effect, which, when hydrated, forms a gel. This gel will provide the ideal solution for this sauce texture.
- Add the turmeric, lemon juice and salt.
- Stir well so that all ingredients are blended.
- When a thick dough is formed, pour into a glass jar.
- It must be kept in the refrigerator and use within 1 week.
- Can be combined with herbs to modify its flavor.
What are the benefits of Colman’s mustard sauce?
- Mustard sauce is a strong seasoning that should be consumed in small quantities.
- It has a high potassium content, which makes it a slightly diuretic sauce.
- Mustard seeds are rich in selenium and aromatic substances, which have antioxidant properties.
- The aromatic components of mustard stimulate gastric secretions, so this sauce is an excellent snack. Also for this reason it has been used to combine with dishes difficult to digest, especially to accompany game meats.
- Although this is the mildest mustard sauce, its spicy and intense flavor is a warning for delicate stomachs: indeed, mustard is mildly irritating to the digestive mucosa, so those who suffer from heartburn, dyspepsia or digestive ulcers should avoid consuming it.
More recipes and information on mustard.
4 February, 2022