Health benefits of asparagus
What are asparagus?
Asparagus (Asparagus officinalis L.) is a vegetable.
Asparagus is formed by a long stem with small bumps on the upper end ending in a pointed shape.
It is a dark green vegetable with intense reddish or slightly lighter green on top.
The interior is fibrous and with a lighter green color.
They have a mild bitter taste.
What are the main nutrients of asparagus?
Photo of cultivated asparagus
As an energy source, 100 grams of asparagus provide 23 kcal.
Their proportion of nutrients are divided into:
– Over 92% is water.
– A 0.17% fat.
– About 2.3% of proteins.
– Nearly 4.6% of carbohydrates.
– A 2.1% fiber.
Vitamins and minerals of asparagus
Asparagus is rich in potassium, magnesium, phosphorus and calcium, and low in iron, zinc and sodium.
It is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and vitamin B3. It also contains small amounts of other B vitamins
Nutritional characteristics of asparagus
It is high in water.
Asparagus drawing: (More food drawings
– It provides little energy.
– It contains little fat, although of high quality and with many health benefits.
– It has a high protein content.
– It has a moderate-carbohydrate content.
– It has a moderate-fiber content.
– It helps to remove toxins from our body, because it contains potassium.
– It helps maintain our brain function properly, because it contains phosphorus. In addition, together with calcium, it maintains the balance of the formation of strong bones.
– Because of its magnesium content, it helps the contraction and relaxation of muscles.
– Because of its content in B vitamins, particularly vitamin B3, it helps us get energy from fat, protein and carbohydrate intake, and maintain our defenses in good condition.
– It protects the skin and helps keep it healthy, because it contains vitamin A.
– It protects us from colds and helps heal wounds, because it contains vitamin C.
– It protects us from the toxins and aging, because of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E and zinc.
Asparagus in the kitchen:
More information about other foods and nutrition.
22 April, 2019