- 1 How to prepare thyme and ginger infusion and its health benefits
How to prepare thyme and ginger infusion and its health benefits
What is the infusion of thyme and ginger for?
Thyme and ginger infusion is a medicinal preparation that has powerful antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-vomiting properties, and serves to prevent high blood sugar levels after meals.
Thyme and ginger infusion ingredients
This infusion combines two powerful medicinal plants that have the following properties:
- Antibiotic properties, especially thyme, recognized as one of the best natural antiseptics that exist. It’s very suitable for colds and infections.
- Stimulating properties
- Digestive properties, because ginger stimulates salivation and also prevents sugar spikes after meals (hypoglycemic)
- Anti-inflammatory properties
Thyme and ginger infusion properties
Thyme and ginger are two medicinal plants that complement each other very well. On the one hand, thyme is very useful in natural medicine for the treatment of all kinds of infections, as it is considered in phytotherapy as the antiseptic medicinal plant par excellence. Its active ingredient is mainly thymol, present in its essential oil.
For whom is this infusion recommended?
The infusion of thyme and ginger can always be taken, as it is also an aromatic and pleasant drink, but it is especially recommended in the following cases:
- Respiratory infections, colds, bronchitis, cough and people with asthma: By combining very powerful anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, it helps the body to overcome possible infections.
- Fever: It stimulates sweating and helps reduce fever, and provides powerful antibiotic principles such as gingerols from ginger and essential oils from thyme.
- Digestive infections: it is an excellent antivomitive. It helps fight against infections that cause diarrhea and against harmful bacteria such as Helicobacter pylori.
- Women can use this infusion to reduce menstrual pain at that time of the month.
- In liver cleansing diets, it serves to help this organ in its cleaning and disinfection functions.
- People with fatty liver, obesity, diabetes and high cholesterol. Treatment must be combined with an anti-inflammatory diet for this infusion to be effective.
Preparation of thyme and ginger infusion
The infusion method consists of heating the water to the boil, and when it begins to boil, turn off the heat, add the herbs and cover. In infusions many principles of the plants can be extracted.
The process is carried out following the steps described below:
- Prepare the ginger: Cut a piece of fresh ginger root (Approximately 5-10 g per cup). Peel the ginger and cut it into slices. Ginger can also be added in the following way: Grate the root and squeeze the juice directly into the infusion water.
- Prepare the thyme: 1 teaspoon of dried thyme leaves (or leaves and flowers) per cup.
- Make the infusion: Bring water to boil. Before the water boils, add the ginger and thyme to turn off the heat.
- Rest the infusion: Cover and let it rest for 8 minutes with the lid on before drinking it.
- Strain and serve.
- Optional: sweeten with cinnamon, squeezed lemon or raw honey.
It is generally recommended to drink 3 glasses of this infusion per day.
Why is it important to cover the infusion?
Surely many people have noticed that, when uncovering an infusion, some shiny droplets appear on the surface of the liquid. Those droplets that can be seen in the infusions are the essential oil of the plant. If the infusions are not covered, the essential oils, which are very volatile, evaporate.
Therefore, infusions must be covered so that they better preserve their essential oils.
More information on thyme
22 April, 2023