Dangers of common hawthorn
What side effects can common hawthorn have?
Common hawthorn (Crataegus oxyacantha) is a medicinal plant that does not present adverse effects, as numerous clinical cases have shown. In a study involving 3,664 patients, who received 900 mg of hawthorn daily, no undesirable side effects were observed.
- There are also no known cases of overdose toxicity, nor have drug interactions been reported.
- However, although it is rare, there may be people allergic to this plant. In this case, the ingestion of medicinal products with common hawthorn should be avoided, since they can produce adverse reactions.
- Theoretically, common hawthorn can cause drowsiness, so it is not advisable to take it when doing activities that require a lot of attention such as working with dangerous machines or driving vehicles.
- Ingestion of common hawthorn can cause feeling of nausea. They are not important if they are not very strong or they remain after a few days of taking products that contain this plant.
How can an allergy to common hawthorn manifest itself?
Among the main symptoms that an allergy to common hawthorn can cause we have the following. If several of these symptoms occur, you should stop taking this product and contact your doctor:
- Reactions in the digestive system such as: intestinal gas, diarrhea, pain in the belly…
- Skin reactions such as: dermatitis, itching, irritated eyes, dry mouth or with a lot of saliva.
- Body aches: headaches, muscle aches, back pain…
- Other possible reactions: sneezing, chills, inability to concentrate, palpitations, etc.
What other side effects can hawthorn have?
A higher dose than normal or in prolonged periods without rest can produce toxicity with the appearance of a slow heart rate, arrhythmias, respiratory problems and hypotension
You should see a doctor quickly when taking any hawthorn product produces any of the following symptoms:
- Chest pain lasting more than 20 minutes.
- Shortness of breath
- Tiredness greater than normal
- Body weakness
- Difficult language
- Heart palpitations
- Acute diarrhea
- Swelling somewhere in the body
More information on common hawthorn, characteristics, properties, toxicity, etc.
2 August, 2022