Herbal remedies of Sjogren’s syndrome
Phytotherapy: Medicinal plants preparations for the syndrome of Sjogren
The phytotherapy for the treatment of the syndrome of Sjogren is based on the use of certain plants whose function will be to increase the production of saliva and to improve the state of the eyes.
The main plants to treat dry mouth are:
– Chamomile: (Matricaria chamomilla) The use of chamomile tea helps increase saliva production. (Infusion of a spoonful of dried plant per cup of water. Make gargling with the resulting liquid.) Drink the liquid.
– Green Tea: (Camellia sinensis) Due to its bacterial properties it is adequate to eliminate bad breath and protect the mouth against infections that cause inflammation of the gums. At the same time, it produces an increase in saliva. (Make mouthwashes with the infusion of the dried plant. Perform mouthwashes with the mixed infusion of tea and sage leaves or strawberry) Drink the liquid.
– Ginger: (Zingiber officinale) In addition to increase saliva production, it protects and refreshes bad breath mouth. (mouthwashes with the infusion of one teaspoon of dried root per cup of water) Drink the liquid.
– Apple (domestic Malus) Apple juice stimulates the production of saliva.
– Carambola (Averrhoa carambola) Carambola is rich in malic acid, a component also present in apples, which sialagogue effect (which stimulates the secretion of saliva)apple juice stimulates the production of saliva (Eat a piece of this fruit)
How to improve the symptoms of Sjogren syndrome?
– A diet rich in fruits and vegetables promotes increased saliva.
– Patients with dry mouth can increase salivation by chewing gum. 10 minutes each hour chewing a sugarless gum helps produce more saliva.
– Dry mouth sufferers should drink plenty of water in small sips throughout the day so that the mouth may have the right liquid. There are artificial saliva sprays which can be very convenient.
– Dry mouth sufferers need to take care of the teeth with a special attention because they lack adequate saliva to neutralize acids formed in it and can cause cavities. It is appropriate to have a very careful dental hygiene, both in brushing and flossing.
The main plants to treat the eyes are:
With regard to eye care, the use of artificial drops may be necessary in many cases. In addition to these drops, we can use a number of plants that can alleviate fatigue, eye dryness and itching. Among them we have chamomile, cucumber, potatoes, etc. (More information on these plants and how to take care of the eyes)
More information on the Sjogren syndrome.