- 1 How to prepare courgette covered in thin crunchy breadcrumbs
PROPERTIES OF BATTERED ZUCCHINI
Zucchini, a highly recommended food
Courgette (Cucurbita pepo) is an excellent vegetable of the family of the Cucurbitaceae, relative of the pumpkin.
It has a mild and light flavor, and is one of the first vegetables that we introduce into the small ones.
Considering its nutritional properties, we should emphasize its contribution of fiber, mainly in the skin. It contains practically no fat and provides few sugars.
Its mineral contribution makes it a very diuretic vegetable, due to its high amount of potassium, with hardly any sodium (salt).
Despite its low caloric intake, we can not assume that it is not energetic: zucchini has a surprising contribution of vitamin B3 or niacin, which is the energy currency of cells.
In addition, it has many flavonoids: plant substances that protect our cells from aging.
For its slimming, depurative and energetic qualities, this vegetable is therefore a key piece in the diet that we can not forget in our diet.
Benefits of breaded zucchini
Today we propose a delicious and irresistible recipe with this vegetable: battered zucchini .
It is a perfect recipe to make the vegetables known to children, but also a quick snack to prepare to break with the daily routine and enjoy the vegetable world.
It can be prepared in different ways, although today we have prepared it with egg and bread crumbs.
Since the vegetable kingdom is not a good protein source, the egg will provide a few proteins of high biological value to the recipe. However, one of the drawbacks of frying is that it eliminates the entire amount of vitamins sensitive to the heat of the food, such as vitamin C.
Breaded courgette ready to be eaten
Breaded courgettes, a high caloric appetizing recipe
When the batter egg comes in contact with the hot oil, it coagulates immediately, preventing excessive oil from entering the zucchini, and providing a crunchy and appetizing batter.
The bread crumbs are fried, soaked in oil to provide quite a lot of carbohydrates and fat. So, we should accompany this dish with a low-fat one, such as a salad or a light soup. To complete the protein intake, we can also take some vegetables (maybe tofu in the salad, or a few intermingled lentils, or a vegetable burger) and a yogurt or dessert fruit.
The caloric intake is important, therefore we recommend eating it at your leisure and digest it with a good walk in the afternoon.
When frying it is important to always use olive oil, or alternatively, high oleic sunflower oil. This is because the high oleic oils are very healthy and also resistant to frying. Of course, we must value the oil for what it is: liquid gold, and not over heat the pan too much because we can deteriorate its quality with too much temperature.
The indicator of this process is when we see the oil smoking. It should be heated to moderate-high temperatures, use the right amount of oil and be aware of the fire.
How to make battered zucchini
Here are more tips on how to prepare an excellent zucchini batter:
Different steps in the process of breading courgettes
Ingredients for a zucchini batter
- 1 egg
- Bread crumbs
- Olive oil
Preparation of battered zucchini
- Cut the zucchini into slices of the desired thickness. With large zucchini, you can give a large slice to children so that, with a knife of butter itself, draw the silhouette a heart, a sun, a star, etc. You can also taste the raw zucchini, which has almost no flavor and is very refreshing.
- Beat an egg in a bowl with salt.
- Prepare a plate with bread crumbs.
- Prepare a dish with absorbent paper.
- Coat each zucchini slice, passing it through the beaten egg and then soaking it in breadcrumbs.
- Put the pan with a finger of oil to heat. Depending on whether we want to fry more zucchini, we must put more oil.
- When the oil is hot, we will distinguish it because it is more liquid (not so viscous), put the zucchini slices one by one into the hot oil. Immediately remove the skillet to heat the whole slice and “cook” the egg of the whole batter surface. In this way, less oil will penetrate the zucchini.
- With the help of a fork, turn the slices that are roasted, one by one. Cook approximately 12 minutes per side.
* Related information:
More information on courgettes and pumpkins.
23 February, 2022