How to prepare a quinoa tajine
What is tajine?
Tajine or tagine is a traditional dish in North African cuisine, typically characterized (and named) by the name of the clay pot in which it is cooked.
How to cook tajine?
– 1 cup quinoa
– 2 and ½ cups water or broth
– 4 onions cut into half moons.
– 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
– 2 tablespoons of prunes.
– Carrots to taste, cut into slices medium-large. Cooke them for a long time..
– 1 potato diced medium-large.
– Olive oil
– A pinch of curry, or Moroccan spices (Moroccan commercially available). Do not put too much, since it will be added later.
– Salt and pepper
– It is essential to have a Tajine (a specific clay pot).
– Rinse quinoa and drain. Repeat 3 times. Drain.
– Toast the quinoa in a nonstick skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Pour the broth or water, bring to a boil and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes (not to be cooked completely).
– In a frying pan with oil, saute the carrots, potatoes, raisins, parsley and onions for 10 minutes. Add salt and spices. It is preferable to add small quantities of spices, since the long cooking will enhance its flavor.
– Mix the quinoa and the rest of vegetables and spices without straining the broth. Place it in a Tajine.
– Place the Tajine in the oven at 180 ° C or over a grill or heat and let it stand for 1 hour.
How to serve tajine?
Serve it hot, accompanied by a julienne salad (very small vegetable pieces) and flavor it with lemon. As they do in in Marrakech, we can serve a digestive dessert tea with mint.
Properties of tajine
This dish is delicious and aromatic, very rich in fiber, B vitamins and protein of high biological value. Ideal in all kinds of healthy diets and a gluten-free option to the traditional tagine with couscous.
More recipes and information on quinoa.