Tips for cooking a good omelette
It is a recipe that demands attention and a bit of liveliness, so that to attain an optimal cooking, not to burn it , as well as having the skill to turn it at the correct moment and in the correct way:
- Use a non-stick pan suitable for the size of the tortilla: You can use a Teflon non-stick pan, or a cast iron pan properly lubricated with oil. The recommended diameter depends on how much is made and how thick the tortilla is desired.
- Use a wooden spoon to avoid damaging the pan: Scratching the pan causes Teflon to come off, which is a hormone disruptor and accumulates in the body. Wood does not scratch Teflon.
- Have all the ingredients prepared: Avoid heating the oil without having the ingredients ready, as this damages the pan and makes the oil too hot, forming harmful substances (acrolein, acrylamide, free radicals, etc.).
- Use an oil suitable for cooking: Virgin olive oil is the best and most recommended.
- Think about if you want to make more to save for the next day: It keeps well in refrigeration.
Properties of Spanish omelette and their nutritional value
Easy recipe of potato omelet
Ingredients for 3-4 people approx:
- 1 large onion
- 1 large potato
- 4 eggs
- Virgin olive oil (about 3-4 tablespoons)
- Salt and pepper
- Aromatic herbs and spices (optional): sch as rosemary, thyme or laurel. You can add turmeric so it has a more yellow coloration.
Step by step preparation of a potato omelet
- The onions are peeled thinly.
- The potatoes are washed thoroughly and diced or sliced up to approximately 1 cm thick. If they are very thick pieces they will cost more to cook.
- Put a pan with oil over medium-high heat. The amount of oil must be generous. If you do not fry the food, the better. Therefore we will add a good jet of oil, but without bathing the ingredients.
- Be attentive to the fire. It is important that the oil never get to smoke, which is indicative that it has become too hot. You have to add the food before.
- When the oil is hot, add the potato, the onion, a couple of bay leaves and salt. To avoid burning food, it is better to cook with a lid. You can also add a little water if necessary (it is usually necessary when there is a lot of potato or a lot of thickness).
We encourage you to add laurel in any onion sauce, as it gives a much richer flavor.
- While the onion and the potato are cooked, the eggs are beaten.
- Mix the beaten eggs with the fried onion and potatoes.
- Remove the bay leaf and add a pinch of pepper, rosemary, turmeric or aromatic herbs as desired.
- Put the tortilla in the pan and cook. First stir a bit to coagulate the egg, then you have to stop stirring to form the homogeneous omelet.
- When the omelet is golden on the one hand, it is turned over and cooked on the other side.
How to serve a Spanish omelette?
It is placed in a dish and divided according to the number of diners. It is eaten hot.
If there is any left over, it can be stored in refrigeration to eat later in cold or reheat.
Variations of the recipe
Imitation of false potato omelette: instead of potato it is prepared with brown rice. being very good.
The potato omelette is a clear example of that saying that ” There’s more than one way to skin a cat” . Some people add other aromatic ingredients, such as pepper. Others add spinach to give it a touch of green. We have also seen preparing it with cheese …
A variation of the recipe that is also delicious is to prepare the onion sauce and add cooked brown rice (previously boiled and drained) instead of potatoes. The result is also spectacular, very rich, and using very little oil.
What can we accompany the recipe with?
The best companion of any meal is always vegetables. We can prepare a complete meal by adding a salad or a cream of vegetables, or some piece of fruit.
OMELETTE WITH POTATOES AND ONIONS RECIPE
*See more: Spanish omelette characteristics and properties
More information on onions recipes, their nutritional values and properties.
18 October, 2022