Mediterranean diet components
MAIN FOOD COMPONENTS OF MEDITERRANEAN DIET
MEDITERRANEAN DIET COMPONENTS
The components that make up the Mediterranean diet are:
- Abundant presence of plant foods: At least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day should be taken. They are the main component of the diet.
- At each meal, the main course will be cereals or legumes. They can also be served with bread.
- Legumes should be taken at least twice a week, due to the benefits of plant proteins, soluble fiber and minerals they contain.
- Olive oil as fat: Olive oil is the main fat condiment used in Mediterranean cuisine, and you can also add nuts to the diet (Musician dessert, a handful of nuts for a snack, etc..).
- Dairy: milk and its derivatives will be skimmed, as dairy fat contains cholesterol.
- Fish as the main source of animal protein. Take blue and white fish, alternating their use during the week. The fish can be fresh or salted, like cod.
- Meat has to be less present in the diet and we should consume: chicken, rabbit or turkey. Pork, beef and mutton has to be used less frequently.
- Eggs should be taken in moderation because they contain cholesterol (up to 4 a week)
- Mediterranean Lifestyle: It is named so a physically active lifestyle that includes walking at least 1 hour a day.
More information about Mediterranean diet in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.