BENEFITS OF THISTLES
What are thistles?
Thistles (Cynara cardunculus) are vegetables.
The stems of thistles are edible. they are dark green and elongated.
Inside the stems a green pulp appears similar to the outer part of them.
Thistles have a mild and a little bitter flavor.
What are the main nutrients of thistles?
As an energy source, 100 grams of celery give us 20 kilocalories.
Their proportion of nutrients is divided into:
- Close to 94% is water.
- A 0.1% fat.
- A 0.7% proteins.
- A 4,9 % carbohydrate.
- A 1.6% fiber.
Boiling thistles or chards
Vitamins and minerals in thistles
Thistles are rich in potassium, phosphorus calcium and magnesium, but it also has lesser amounts of other minerals such as sodium, iron, zinc, manganese, selenium and copper.
It is a vegetable rich in vitamin A, and vitamin B9, It contains small amounts of vitamin C and other vitamins of vitamin B group.
Nutritional characteristics of thistle
- It has a very high water content.
- It provides little energy.
- It has a very low fat content.
- It is low in proteins.
- It is low in carbohydrates, especially starches.
- It has a moderate-fiber content.
- It helps to remove toxins from our body, because it contains potassium.
- It helps maintain our brain function properly, because it contains phosphorus. In addition, together with calcium, it maintains the balance of the formation of strong bones.
- Because of its magnesium content, it helps the contraction and relaxation of muscles.
- Because of its content of vitamin B9, it helps us to grow properly.
- It protects the skin and helps keep it healthy, because it contains vitamin A.
- It protects us from colds and helps heal wounds, because it contains vitamin C.
- It protects us from the toxins and aging, because it contains vitamin A, vitamin C, zinc and selenium.
Thistle in the kitchen:
More information about other foods and nutrition in the listing above
|*Related information: More information about thistle|
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.