ANEMIA DIET PLAN
GENERAL GUIDELINES IN THE DIET FOR ANEMIA
Some considerations to take into account:
- Make 5 meals a day with iron rich foods throughout the day (better absorption).
- The iron from animal products is better absorbed than plant products.
- Take vitamin C-rich fruit dessert and, if you take iron supplements, take them with orange juice: Vitamin C increases iron absorption.
- Vegetarian Diets: Egg is a discrete source of iron. Milk and dairy products contain very little iron. Therefore, it is recommended to enrich the dishes with nuts, dried fruit, chickpea flour, soy flour, yeast or wheat germ (to increase the iron content of the dish).
Foods to avoid in anemia diet
- Carbonated drinks (carbonated) drinking gas beverages sequesters iron (besides calcium, magnesium and other minerals). Do not abuse of these liquids. Choose beverages without gas.
- Foods high in oxalates (cocoa, spinach, beets, chard, tomatoes, etc..) Decrease iron absorption: Boil the vegetables and broth throwing away (part of the oxalates are going into the cooking water). Serve these dairy foods, because calcium oxalates inactive.
- Taking too many whole foods reduces the absorption of calcium due to the phytates. Combine whole cereals with foods rich in calcium (calcium inactivates phytates).
Tips for anemia. Print-summary of the dietary advice for anemia.
SUITABLE DIET PLAN FOR ANEMIA
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.