PROPERTIES OF MAGNESIUM
WHAT IS MAGNESIUM FOR?
Functions of magnesium
The magnesium intake from any source has a therapeutic effect that can be used in the treatment of numerous anomalies:
- Health of the bones: They have been verified as the ingestion of this complement helps to avoid or to improve osteoporosis, since it helps to stabilize calcium.
- Circulatory Apparatus: A suitable magnesium ingestion is a way to control certain circulatory diseases like:
- Hypertension. It has been verified that those people who have deficiency of this mineral present hypertension sometimes. Similarly magnesium administration decreased blood pressure. The usual treatment is 500 mg daily of magnesium combined with 1000 mg of calcium
- Thrombi: Magnesium helps thin the blood by preventing the formation of thrombus by platelet aggregation that facilitates the circulation and prevents the occurrence of strokes. Helps the healing of the sick heart to prevent new blockages from coronary arteries and therefore prevents angina or myocardial infarction. The usual dose is usually about 400 mg daily combined with 800 mg of calcium.
Main curative properties of magnesium
- Hearth attacks: a deficient magnesium ingestion produces cardiac arrhythmias. These arrhythmias, when very deep and they continued, can produce heart attacks. The daily dose is of 800 mgs distributed in two doses.
- Diabetes: Some researchers think that magnesium can help to the people with diabetes of type 2 (non insulin-dependent diabetes or adult) to be better able to stabilize sugar levels in the blood. Also it is assumed that magnesium helps prevent this disease. The usual dose is set at 500 mg daily.
- Depression: Calcium, along with magnesium, takes part in the production of neurotransmitters, reason why they turn out suitable to soothe the nervous system. It is suitable in the treatment of the depression. (The habitual dose is of 500 daily mgs of each of distributed them in two daily doses)
- Asthma and bronchitis: The lack of magnesium can be one of the causes of the appearance of asthma. The ingestion of this element can prevent its appearance or reduce the intensity of the attacks since their relaxing properties of the bronchial muscles allows better breathing.
For this reason, besides the treatment of asthma, this mineral may be useful in the treatment of bronchitis. The usual dose is set to about 800 mg daily divided into two doses.
- Pre-menstrual Syndrome: The administration of 400 daily mgs one week before the period, or during the same in more problematic cases, can help to diminish the intensity of the negative symptoms of the pre-menstrual syndrome, like depression, irritability, breast pain, etc.
- Chronic fatigue syndrome: Magnesium strengthens muscles and increases cellular energy. A supplementation with this mineral usually improves the health of people affected by chronic fatigue syndrome, who often have low magnesium levels. The usual dose is 400 mg daily, although, even at lower doses, it can cause diarrhea. If so, we will reduce the dose.
Since magnesium intake interferes with the absorption of calcium, it would be necessary to add a calcium supplement if we take magnesium supplements.
The ratio should be twice as much calcium as magnesium, divided into several doses per day to facilitate its absorption.
Patients with heart or kidney problems should consult their doctor before taking magnesium.
- Pain: The soothing properties of magnesium are adequate to relieve pain in certain situations such as fibromyalgia or muscle aches, especially in case of muscle tears or strains, hence that magnesium may be helpful for athletes not only to improve Heart rate and oxygen uptake but increases their energy and pain were reduced in case of injury.
It has been shown the role of magnesium in the prevention of headache or migraine, although their effects on it are zero when this is already affecting the body. Therefore, if you are prone to suffer from migraine, one way to avoid it is to eat about 500 mg of magnesium daily.
Magnesium deficiency shown by many fibromyalgia sufferers leads to recommended supplement intake of this mineral. It has been demonstrated that patients taking these supplements have fewer episodes of pain. They are advised to take magnesium with malic acid.
The latter promotes the absorption of magnesium and makes fibromyalgia more bearable. The usual dose is 300 mg of magnesium and 1200 mg of malic acid divided into two doses. There are magnesium malate preparations which have both components.
- Kidney stones?: Magnesium may prevent the occurrence of kidney stones, but it can make them worse if you take magnesium when already having kidney stones.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.