Properties of cucumbers
CUCUMBERS: TAKE CARE OF THE SKIN
Characteristics of cucumbers
History of cucumbers
They are native from India and they were already used abundantly, together with the melons, in the old Egyptian culture.
Later on, Greeks and Romans also consumed them habitually.
They were so appreciated in the antiquity that Israelis in the exile complained to Moses about having lost the main luxuries of Egypt that, according to them, they thought to be cucumbers and melons.
In recent times they appear as cultivated plants in warm climates in many countries of the world.
Varieties and classes of cucumbers
Different species exist. Bigger ones are used to eat fresh in salads (Cucumis sativus); other smaller ones, as the Indian species Cucumis anguria, are used as a species to put in vinegar.
Some have a more exclusive use, as the Cucumis myriocarpus, a species from South Africa, with potent vomitive properties or the Arabic species Cucumis prophetarum that constitutes a strong purge.
Besides these properties, they are used by the perfumery industry for their wealth in aromas to provide odour to certain products.
Main properties of cucumbers
PROPERTIES OF CUCUMBERS
Cucumbers for your skin health
It contributes all its oils and hydration, necessary to soften and rehydrate this organ. Masks with cucumber help improve the appearance of the skin, giving back all the freshness and texture that is lost as a result of environmental aggression or aging itself.
Smokers can benefit from their effects against the oxidative action of free radicals of tobacco.
Cucumber in cosmetic treatments
Besides the emollient properties for the skin, it is necessary to mention their cosmetic properties. In this way it can be very suitable for:
- Face spots: It has a great capacity to soften the skin and to diminish the spots of the skin, age spots or freckles. (Crushing a cucumber and applying the juice on a face spot can help to clear it)
- Wrinkles: It can contribute to improve and rejuvenate the skin resemblance. Its external application reduces wrinkles better than most other creams on the market, even the most expensive ones. It contains water and antioxidants, which hydrate the skin and delay the degradation of hyaluronic acid and elastin, substances that make the skin does not lose its elasticity.
How to remove your wrinkles with a cucumber mask
A very appropriate cosmetic preparation to remove the wrinkles is stated in John Heinerman's " Encyclopedia of vegetable Fruits and Herbs", describing a simple remedy used by Cleopatra, the famous queen in Egypt:
For all these reasons, cucumbers are frequently used in the manufacture of creams for the care of the skin, especially for the manufacture of masks.
Remedies with cucumber for your eyes and feet
- Tired eyes: Another of the very interesting applications of cucumbers is their capacity to relax your tired eyes, to humidify and alleviate them . The application of a couple of recently cut slices on the lids is a good natural eyewash and a good solution to reduce the swelling after a hard work day or long nightly party.
- Tired feet: It is one of the best natural relaxers, ideal to rest your feet and avoid the pain that occurs after long walks in the countryside or on the streets of the city with unsuitable shoes (Crush unpeeled cucumbers with the blender and put them to cool in the refrigerator. Pour the pulp into a basin and place the feet inside)
Other curative remedies with cucumber
Cucumbers have traditionally been used to expel the intestinal worms and tapeworms. This remedy is carried out in form of purges with mashed seeds mixed with sugar that should be taken before any meal..
FOOD PROPERTIES OF CUCUMBERS
Cucumber for slimming
The fruits of cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) are especially recommended for those who wish to lose weight.
They are formed in 96% of water and have little caloric value, which does not reach 20 calories per 100 gr.
These properties make them extremely light and suitable foods to combat obesity.
A spring cucumber diet will be very suitable for people who want to lose weight or who suffer from serous accumulations in the extremities - edemas -, while at the same time it helps to detoxify the body.
Are cucumbers digestive?
Cucumbers are a good repair of the intestinal mucosa, so its consumption is very suitable for those who want to strengthen the stomach
However, you have to be careful to chew it very well, since, being a fruit very rich in cellulose, it can be indigestible if eaten fast and not chewed.
Except in these cases, in general, it constitutes a very adequate food to protect the stomach and clean the intestines when regulating the intestinal flora by action of a component denominated erepsina.
* Recipes with cucumbers: Gazpacho, Noodles with mustard and pickles
Composition of raw cucumber
Source: USDA Nutrient Data Base
More information about natural medicine in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.