Diet for kidney stones
DIET FOR KIDNEY STONES
Food to avoid recurrence of kidney stones
Undertaking a proper diet can help avoiding the formation or recurrence of kidney stones. Since kidney stones use to reappear ever so often, it is very important to control our food intake in order to prevent stones from forming. The following tips are particularly interesting:
Food that should be avoided in a kidney stone diet
- Avoid eating foods high in oxalates People suffering from a tendency to develop calcium-oxalate kidney stones or gallstones should avoid eating high oxalate food. Among them we would mention spinachs, tea, purslane, tomatoes, beans, strawberries, chocolate, etc.
More information about oxalate content of foods.
- Do not exceed in the consumption of dairy products. Though we can not dispense with them, the abuse may promote the formation of crystals of calcium.
- Do not eat too much animal protein. We should not consume too much animal meat, eggs or fish. This type of food precipitates calcium in the urine and promotes the occurrence of calculi. Besides, this kind of food is very rich in uric acid, which causes sedimentation.
- Do not abuse salt intake.
- Avoid alcohol and sweets since they favor the removal of calcium by the kidneys.
Suitable food in a kidney stone diet
- Follow a vegetarian diet rich in natural foods. Fruit juice or vegetables should have a big presence, especially those with diuretic and acid properties (grapes, oranges, lemons, grapefruit, peaches, carrots, celery, cucumbers, apples, melons, watermelons, medlars, lettuce, etc.).
- Acidify the urine to prevent the growth of bacteria that can cause the above calculi. Among the plants suitable to acidify urine we have such interesting ones as grapes.
- Citrus and kidney stones: Lemons, oranges, grapefruits, limes and other citrus contain a high amount of citric acid. It has been proved that this acid is able to dissolve little stones or prevent their formation. Eating this type of fruit protect us against forming new kidney stones.
Recent studies have stressed the importance of lemonade in the treatment of this disease. Home made lemonade should be one of our usual beverages.
HOME-MADE PRODUCTION OF THE LEMONADE
- 4 lemons
- Cut the lemons in two.
- Squeeze them and pour the juice in a jar.
- Strain the juice and add the sugar and the water.
- Stir it well and serve cool.
Drink plenty of water
Water is the medium in which all the toxins and minerals are dissolved. Water is expelled through the pores of the skin and urine. An abundant and regular urination prevents sedimentation of the crystals of certain minerals that, when grouped together, form the kidney stones.
We should drink between 2 and 5 liters of water per day, especially when it is hot or an intense physical effort has been done or in other circumstances when much water is expelled such as excessive sweating or diarrhea.
Potassium citrate for kidney stones?
Potassium citrate is used to treat the formation of acid uric and kidney stones because it prevents the urine from becoming too acidic.
It has been proven to be very effective, however people taking this medication can suffer from several side effects, such as vomiting, nausea, flatulence or diarrhea.
So, in agreement with the doctor, it is recommended to increase citrus food intake in order to attain similar effects in a natural way. Eating oranges or drinking lemon or orange juice or lemonade would be an alternative to the use of this medicine.
More information about kidney stones natural treatment in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.