CONTRAINDICATIONS OF SELENIUM
What are the contraindications of selenium?
Selenium, in superior doses or by accumulation, may be toxic. It presents a number of contraindications that must be taken into account:
– Selenium thins the blood which may increase bleeding in people who tend to suffer from nosebleeds. Similarly, selenium is not advised if you are having surgery or after surgery to prevent bleeding problems.
– People with hypothyroidism should not take selenium without consulting with their doctor. Selenium may worsen the symptoms of this disease. In any case, the doctor may recommend taking selenium with iodine
– People who have had skin cancer should not take selenium without consulting with their doctor. There are suspicions that selenium may make this type of cancer reappear.
– Men who are in the process of fathering a baby should not take selenium without consulting with their doctor. It is suspected that selenium reduces the ability of sperm movement.
– Men who have had prostate problems should not take selenium without consulting with their doctor. It is believed that selenium may increase the chances of developing prostate cancer.
Is selenium contraindicated during pregnancy?
Selenium, when taken in appropriate doses, is not contraindicated in pregnancy. The daily recommended dose during pregnancy is 60 mcg
Is selenium contraindicated during breastfeeding?
Selenium, when taken in appropriate doses, is not contraindicated in breastfeeding. The daily recommended dose during lactation is 70 mcg
Does selenium have any drug interactions?
– People taking blood thinning medications (aspirin, heparin, warfarin and the like) should NOT take selenium
– Do not take selenium zinc. Zinc decreases selenium absorption
– People taking sedatives should NOT take. Selenium may increase their effects.
– People taking cholesterol-lowering drugs should NOT take it. Selenium reduces the effects of these drugs.
Keep in mind that some herbs contain high amounts of selenium, so, taking these herbs together with selenium supplementation could produce selenium accumulation poisoning. Among the herbs that contain high amounts of selenium we have the following from most to least:
– Catmint (Nepeta cataria)
– Pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium)
– Valerian (Valeriana officinalis)
– Marshmallow (Althaea officinalis)
– Thyme (Thymus vulgaris)
– Ginseng (Panax ginseng)
– Stevia (Stevia rebutiana)
– Aloe (Aloe vera)
– Peppermint (Mentha x piperita)
– Nettle (Urtica dioica)
– Echinacea (Echinacea spp)
More information on selenium
22 March, 2022