What is aronia juice?
Aronia juice is obtained from the best selection of fresh fruit aronia (Aronia melanocarpa). Aronia is a berry shaped fleshy fruit, blueberry-like although darker, which is characterized by its high content of antioxidants. Specifically, aronia contains 3 times more antioxidants than blueberries and 3 times more the amount of resveratrol than wine.
Berry juice is extracted by cold pressing and then pasteurized for hygiene and marketing.
Although the market is overrun with new miracle products, aronia is actually a very antioxidant fruit, as demonstrated by the ORAC scale.
What are the properties of aronia juice?
– Because aronia juice has been pasteurized for marketing, this tastes better than aronia berry fresh fruit because the tannin content of aronia berry has a very astringent flavor. However, to improve the organoleptic characteristics of this juice, you can also find aronia juice mixed with acai berries , blueberries, currants or Pomegranate.
– This juice can be concentrated in sugars, although, if diluted in water, it will not contribute with a lot of carbohydrates.
– Once opened, it has to be stored in a refrigerator for 10 days.
|Taking aronia juice is the most concentrated, convenient and efficient way to supplement our diet with antioxidants.|
Benefits of aronia juice for health
- Antioxidant. This fruit and its juice is noted for its high content in polyphenols and flavonoids, natural antioxidants. These components include anthocyanins, rutin and quercetin. By preventing the oxidation of body cells, aronia juice provides an excellent antidote against aging. Its consumption in our diet will add an additional contribution of beneficial plant substances. This antioxidant content is also indicated for stress.
- For the heart . The aronia juice supplement, along with a good diet for the heart, is keen to prevent and treat cardiovascular problems both in people with a family history, and in patients with high cholesterol, hypertension or arteriosclerosis . This is because the amount of antioxidants directly affects the lower oxidation of cholesterol in the blood and the protective action of the veins and arteries that carry out these substances.
- Aronia juice to improve vision. Anthocyanins are antioxidants that act primarily at the eye level. Its function is to protect the capillaries (very small arteries) of the retina, preventing their oxidation by solar radiation. Furthermore, aronia juice also contains rutin, a flavonoid with protective action for one’s sight. Aronia juice is a good prevention remedy for good eye health; especially recommended for people with night blindness, is also recommended for people with myopia or vision problems.
- Diabetes. Aronia juice can help normalize carbohydrate metabolism in type II diabetic patients because of its hypoglycemic effect. For this purpose the cardioprotective and beneficial for eye health properties, can often be good for complications of diabetes . A proper diet for diabetes, as well as, a weekly supplement of aronia juice is a good diabetes treatment and a good prevention method for this disease in the future.
- Urinary tract infections. Aronia possesses antibacterial active ingredients and particularly quinic acid, which inhibits the growth of Candida in the bladder. Therefore, aronia juice, along with a medicinal guidelines and a casespecific food treatment, is also an aid to treat urinary disorders such as cystitis and vaginal infections.
The concentration of aronia juice may vary by brand name. It is recommended to take 50ml juice diluted in water, and not exceed this dose. In cases of aronia fruit juice, you can increase the amount to be diluted, as it is less concentrated.
It is usually indicated on the label of each product the recommended dose.
Who should avoid taking Aronia?
- Pregnant women should avoid eating aronia during pregnancy until its safety is proven in these cases, as there is not enough scientific literature.
- People with autoimmune diseases should first consult with a physician. Although aronia has proven beneficial for some diseases, such as multiple sclerosis, increased immunity may negatively impact on such diseases. Consultation and specialist supervision is essential in these cases.
More information on aronia.