LIST OF FOODS WITH A LOT OF PROLINE
* Animal foods rich in proline
- Meat (beef, chicken, pork (trotters), gravies)
- Fish (monkfish, cod and fish broth)
- Shark cartilage
* Vegetable foods rich in proline
Among the proline-rich plant sources, we include:
- Soy and its derivatives: tofu, tempeh…
- White mustard seeds
- Wheat and its derivatives, especially seitan
- Alfalfa sprouts
Increase the effectiveness of proline
Vitamin C is necessary for making this protein, since it acts as cofactor of enzyme prolyl hydrolase which converts proline into hydroxyproline, a component of collagen.
Vegetables rich in vitamin C (peppers, cabbage, parsley, citrus (oranges, lemons, Granada, kiwi, etc.) and other fruits (banana, mango, melon, etc.) contribute to the synthesis of collagen.
L-Lysine is another amino acid necessary for collagen synthesis. This is the limiting amino acid in cereals, so in vegetarian diets, it is very important the combination of vegetable protein.
* Related information:
List of amino acids in food
Essential amino acids
Nonessential amino acids
More information on amino acids.
20 May, 2022