Herbal treatment for insects stings or bites
Phytotherapy. Herbal external use remedies to treat bites and stings
These home remedies should be used in case of a “normal” reaction to an insect bite or sting.
In case of a possible allergic reaction, medical attention is needed as soon as possible.
Stings and bites from wasps, bees and other insects
- Aloe (Aloe vera L.) (Apply aloe juice)
- Dulcamara / bittersweet/ Nightshade(Solanum dulcamara) (Apply the juice of the fruits on the sting.) Poisonous plant. Do not ingest!
- Plantain (Plantago major) (Apply crushed fresh leaves on the bite or the sting)
- Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) (Apply the fresh plant juice)
- Fig tree (Ficus carica) (Apply the milky juice of the leaves)
- Parsley (Petroselinum hortense) (Apply the fresh plant juice)
- Lavender (Lavandula officinalis) (wash the affected area with the liquid from a 10-minute infusion of a spoonful of dried flowers per cup of water)
- Pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium) (Washing with the decoction of 30 g of dried plant per liter of water)
- Linden tree: (Tilia sp.) (Drench affected area with gauze soaked with the liquid fluid resulting from the infusion of one teaspoon of dried flowers)
- Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) (washing with the liquid from the infusion of the dried plant.)
- Mint: (Mentha rotundifolia) (Infusion of the dried plant. Apply to the affected area)
- Marshmallow (Althaea officinalis) (Crush a leaf and rub the juice on the sting)
Are there any medicinal plants for snake bites?
Viper (Echium vulgare) has traditionally been thought to cure snake bites, because the inflorescenses are reminiscent of the snake, hence the name.
This belief is false! To treat snake bites, you should go to the the doctor as soon as possible.
Some plants that can be helpful against snake bites together with the ordinary medication:
We can also assist the physician with a treatment with phytotherapy:
- Lavender (Lavandula spica) (Apply the crushed plant against the bite)
- Broom (Retama sphaerocarpa Boissier) (applying the crushed flowers on the bite)
More information about cuts and other wounds and its natural treatment.
27 August, 2020