Pine seeds edible benefits
What are pine nuts?
Pine nuts are the seeds of pines (Pinus spp). Pine nuts are nuts.
Pine nuts are inside pine cones
They have a very hard shell that protects them.
They are inside the shells, which are covered by a brown layer called pericarp
If we remove that layer, we obtain the pine nuts in their natural form, lighter brown on the outside and beige almost white inside.
Pine nuts have a mild, sweet and neutral taste.
Photo of pine nuts
What do pine nuts contain?
As an energy source, 100 grams of pine nuts give us 566 kilocalories.
Its proportion of nutrients is divided into:
– More than 6% is water.
– A 50%, fat.
– About 24%, protein.
– About 14%, carbohydrates.
– A 4.5%, fiber.
Minerals in pine nuts
Pine nuts are are very rich dry fruits in potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, iron, zinc, manganese and selenium, and even small amounts of copper and sodium.
Vitamins in pine nuts
Pine nuts are rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B3 and vitamin B9. They also contain small amounts of other B vitamins, but also gives us plenty of vitamin E.
Pine nuts composition
Benefits of pine nuts
– Pine nut has a low water content because it is a nut.
– It gives us a lot of energy in the form of calories, which helps maintain our vitality.
– It contains a lot of quality fat that provides a lot of health benefits.
– It has a very high protein content.
– It is high in carbohydrates, especially starches.
– It has a high fiber content.
– It helps to remove toxins from our body, because it contains potassium.
– It helps to maintain our brain function, as a result of its phosphorus content. In addition, together with calcium, phosphorous maintains the balance of the formation of strong bones.
– Being rich in magnesium, it helps the contraction and relaxation of muscles.
– Having a lot of iron, it helps us to prevent anemia.
– Because of its manganese content it helps us keep the brain and respiratory apparatus in proper condition.
– It is high in B vitamins, particularly vitamin B3 and vitamin B9, so it helps us get energy from fat, protein and carbohydrate intake, to grow properly and maintain our defenses in good condition.
– It protects the skin and helps keep it healthy, because it contains vitamin A.
– It protects us from colds and helps heal wounds, because of vitamin C.
– It protects us from toxins and aging, because it contains vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, selenium and zinc.
Pine nuts in the shell
Pine nut recipes
– Endive with sorghum and pine nuts
More information on pine nuts and pines.
15 February, 2022