What supplements are suitable for people who practice sports?
Types of supplements according to their nutrient content:
Supplements for athletes are presented in powder, drink, bars or tablets.
They are a complement of food, to provide nutrients whose requirements have been increased with the regular practice of physical exercise.
Main supplements for athletes
The supplements that athletes usually use are the following:
- Carnitine: Carnitine is a non-essential amino acid synthesized by the liver through two essential amino acids, lysine and methionine.Interfering in the metabolism of fats and supplements for athletes we find it as L-carnitine, which is an isomer with greater absorption.Its action is to transport fatty acids into cells to provide them with energy. Hence, fat burning properties are attributed to it.It is also taken to increase the resistance of the athlete in carrying out the exercise by decreasing the expenditure of muscle glycogen.
- Casein: It is usually indicated to reinforce the protein intake of strength athletes or bodybuilders and cover their high needs avoiding the appearance of muscle catabolism.
- Creatine: Usually indicated for bodybuilders, but also in sports such as jumps, sprints, rugby and the like, or even in weightlifting
- Green tea extract: The green tea extract contains substances called polyphenols (catechins) and flavonoids with highly antioxidant effects. It also has diuretic effect and is part of the basis of some supplements to lose weight or even to burn fats, for its caffeine content.
- Energy gels: Energy gels are a source of complex and simple carbohydrates, sometimes containing minerals such as potassium and sodium to regulate electrolyte losses or caffeine, as a stimulating substance.They are usually administered as fuel during the exercise to recover the energy expended, increase resistance and decrease fatigue.Its nutritional composition is similar to that of sports or energy drinks, but being a gelatin requires an additional supply of liquids, otherwise it will cause dehydration.
- Ginseng: Ginseng has stimulating properties at the energy level and is usually indicated to increase vitality.
- Glycerol: Glycerol is the basis of fats called triglycerides. A triglyceride is made up of one molecule of glycerol and three fatty acids.It is attributed properties with a high retention of liquids and water in the whole body.It is usually indicated in sports where a high resistance is required for a long period of time like cyclists or in extreme temperatures, minimizing the risk of dehydration and fatigue, and increasing resistance.
- Glucosamine: Glucosamine is a component that protects the cartilage of our body, by acting as a barrier that minimizes shock and have a lubricating and nourishing effect, in addition to maintaining its own elasticity.To make the supplement is extracted from shellsfish and the like.It is indicated by its repairing action for multiple affectations of cartilages, tendons or muscular ligaments.
- Glutamine: Glutamine is a non-essential amino acid, it can be synthesized by other amino acids such as valine, isoleucine or glutamic acid.Resides in the blood and body muscles and intervenes in the immunity of our body, may be diminished by physical exercise, so it could compromise our defensive barriers against external pathogens after the training or competition.It forms part of the base of multiple protein supplements for athletes.
- Guarana: Guarana is a substance that is extracted through seeds very rich in caffeine, double the concentration of tea or coffee. It has the same indications as caffeine.
- Mate: In athletes it also prolongs the physical resistance (it would give positive in control of doping by caffeine).
More information on supplements for sport
15 August, 2022