Tiger nuts recipes
BENEFITS OF DRINKING HORCHATA
What is horchata good for?
It has no caffeine or other stimulants, and it contains no gas (carbonated drinks),
Who is horchata recommended for?
- It is recommended as a healthy and refreshing drink in the diet of children, pregnant women, the elderly and people with osteoporosis should avoid drinks with gas.
- This drink, which is also suitable for coeliacs
- It is recommended for people with great physical wear, for sportsmen or people who require an input of energy and minerals.
- However, this recipe should be moderate in people with obesity and diabetes, as it is very rich in fat and natural starches from fruit, and added sugar.
* Related information: Mediterranean diet characteristics.
Ingredients for 1 liter of horchata
A glass of horchata and and a detail of some tiger nuts
- 250g. dried tiger nuts, we can purchase in local markets or in stores nuts. 200g. sugar
- 1 liter of cold water
- Optional: cinnamon, lemon, vanilla.
Preparation of horchata
- Wash dried tiger nuts repeatedly to remove residual impurities and soil that may contain.
- Soak the tiger nuts for 2448 hours, changing the water several times.
- Drain them and place in a bowl for crushing with the blender, food processor, etc..
- Crush the the tiger nuts in a bowl with 1 liter of cold water.
- Strain with the help of a Chinese or fine strainer.
- Mix sugar and cool to 1 º C, because otherwise natural ferments can begin to act altering the flavor.
More information on Mediterranean diet.