Natural antibiotics are those remedies that are capable of inhibiting the growth of microorganisms or delete them. They are remedies that are able to prevent or cure many diseases.
Natural antibiotics differ from synthetic antibiotics, that is to say those produced by synthesis in the laboratory, on the following features:
- They do not present so many side effects: for example, allergic reactions, or stomach problems.
- They are able to respect the beneficial microorganisms of our body, such as those required in the intestinal flora.
- There are not dangerous after long-term use.
- They are cheap and easily available.
Major natural antibiotics are:
- Garlic ( Allium sativum): There is no doubt that garlic is one of the best natural antibacterial and antiviral medicine. It contains more than 20 components with antiviral properties and nearly 40 antibacterial components (Aliicin, ajoene, caffeic acid, ascorbic acid, chlorogenic acid, quercetin, etc.).
This makes it ideal for internal treatment of respiratory tract and excretory system. Used externally or internally , it is very useful to disinfect and prevent wounds to be infected.
- Onion ( Allium cepa) From the same family as garlic and with a similar composition, onion is another natural antibiotic. Also rich in sulfur compounds, acids and flavonoids, it is one of the best natural remedies to combat infectious processes of the respiratory tract (influenza, bronchitis, pharyngitis, etc. ..) Used externally, it is considered a good disinfectant.
- Echinacea ( Echinacea angustifolia) The main virtue of echinacea is in its anti microbial power against bacteria, fungi and viruses that makes it a real alternative to chemical antibiotics. The reason for this property is due to its ability to stimulate the immune system, producing more white blood cells.
- Cardamom ( Elettaria cardamomum) Cardamom is one of the richest sources of cineol that nature offers. The cineol component is a powerful natural antiseptic that kills bacteria that cause bad breath, being a recognized remedy for halitosis.
Also suitable for the treatment of caries, or stomachache caused by Helicobacter pylori.
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale) Its antibacterial capacity and its tolerance against the needed microorganisms for the intestinal flora (Lactobacillus) makes ginger very useful to eliminate harmful microorganisms, such as Escherichia coli, responsible for most cases of gastroenteritis.
Its antibacterial power is capable of eliminating Helicobacter pylori, a bacterium whose secretions of ammonia are responsible for the emergence of large ulcers.
- Thyme (Thymus vulgaris) The essential acids that this plant contains will provide its antiviral properties. Thyme is a powerful antibacterial, although it does not kill bacteria but prevents them from multiplying (bacteriostatic property) Used externally it is a powerful disinfectant that helps heal wounds.
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) Rosemary has over 40 antibacterial and over 20 antiviral principles . Rosemary herbal preparations can help fight germs of the respiratory tract or those causing digestive diseases. Used as a flavoring for food, at the same time, it prevents the proliferation of pathogens.
- Sundew (Drosera spp.) Drosera extract contains plumbagin, a first antibiotic against a range of bacteria and viruses. It is used as a remedy for flu, colds, to treat respiratory infections and enteritis.
- Guava (Psidium guajava) Guava leaves are rich in essential oils and plant substances acting as natural antibiotics
- Lime: (Citrus aurantifolia) Key lime contains at least 10 antiseptic components .(Take lime juice 2 times a day)
- Peppermint (Mentha ssp.) Mints are also very rich in antibacterial principles, especially suited to prevent intestinal putrefaction.
- Linden tree (Tilia sp.) Linden tree has antiviral and antibacterial properties capable of inhibiting the growth of viruses and bacteria, so that its administration is very useful during periods in which the body is forced to fight infections. In this sense we can consider this plant as a good natural antibiotic.
FOODS WITH ANTIBIOTIC PROPERTIES
Besides garlics and onions, very known for its antibiotic properties, we can point to a number of foods that will help us to combat infectious diseases. Among them we can mention:
- Medicinal mushrooms: The antibiotic properties of mushrooms are very prominent. Not only we must highlight Penicillium notatum from which penicillin was synthesized but there are many edible or poisonous mushrooms that have similar antibiotic principles. Such very well known edible fungi as mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus) or milk caps (Lactarius deliciosus) have been proved to possess natural antibiotics in their composition.
- Propolis: Since ancient times the properties of propolis have been mentioned in the healing of wounds or other injuries outside the human body. Probably old people discovered these properties when they realized that the bodies found inside swarms were without rot because they were involved in a sticky substance.
- Honey: Honey is also considered a good food against bacteria.