- 1 Natural treatment for earache
- 2 Home remedies for sore ears
Natural treatment for earache
Herbal remedies for earache
Phytotherapy for the treatment of ear pain involves the use of plants with the following properties:
- Analgesic plants, to reduce the sensation of deep pain in the ear.
- Anti-bacterial plants, to prevent or get rid of ear infection.
- Enhancing immunity plants, to increase the body’s defenses against infection
Phytotherapy: Medicinal plants to treat earache
Among all the suitable plants, we can point out the following:
- Willow (Salix sp.) For its salicin content, the principle of aspirin. (Decoction of a pinch – 2 g – of dry bark per cup of water. Take two or three cups a day. (Do not take if you are allergic to aspirin)
- Garlic (Allium sativum) Because of its bactericidal properties, it is particularly relevant when the earache responds to an infection inside the middle ear. (Eating raw garlic in salads)
- Echinacea (Echinacea sp) Very useful to increase your body’s defenses, preventing or combating infection (Infusion of a spoonful of dried plant per cup of water. A couple of cups a day) (It can be taken as supplements in doses of 600 mg daily, divided into three intakes)
- Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) The slightly narcotic effect, added to its analgesic properties, can be used to numb sore ears. (Infusion of a tablespoon per cup of water for 15 minutes. Take 3 or 4 glasses per day)
External use preparations to treat earache
- Elder (Sambucus nigra) By introducing the steam in our ear resulting from the decoction of a handful of dry leaves, we will feel a big relief. (The process is done by the vaporization method, which consist on the application of a vapor for therapeutic use.This can be done in practice in the following way:
- Boil a handful of leaves in a liter of water for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and, while being hot
- Place a cone made of paper or cardboard over the steam.
- Introduce the narrowest end in the ear and the widest end over the steam so that the steam can go into the ear.
- Garlic (Allium sativum), lavender (Lavandula sp), peppermint (Mentha arvensis, Mentha piperita, Mentha rotundifolia, etc.) and mullein (Verbascum thapsus): They all have bactericidal properties, being particularly appropriate when the earache responds to an infection of the middle ear. (Provide a couple of drops of diluted oil of these plants inside the ear. Cover with a bit of cotton later)
- Parsley (Petroselinum crispum), olive (Olea europaea): (Make a small ball with parsley and olive oil, add a little salt and introduce the mixture into the ear)
- Plantain (Plantago major) Crush some tender leaves and pour a few drops in the ear.
Home remedies for sore ears
Some traditional tips to stop earache
Among all the folk advice we can find about how to calm our earache we can point out the following tips:
- Heat relieves earache? Some say that apply a warm cloth on the affected ear soothes earache. However, some specialists think it is better to provide cold. (Do not apply in case of possible perforated eardrum)
- Olive oil soothes earache. Heat oil to body temperature and apply a few drops in the ear (Do not apply in case of possible perforated eardrum)
- Chewing gum for earache: Chewing activity relieves tension in the inner ear. By means of chewing a chewing gum we can diminish pain.
How to prevent ear pain when flying plane or when going up a high place?
To avoid our ears to become plugged by the height, we can yawn. We can also cover our nose and try to push our stuffy nose with our throat.
Before flying, if we tend to suffer from ear pain, it is desirable to apply a nasal decongestant spray an hour before landing.
Tips to prevent ear pain when diving
When we dive, we should not cover our ears with tight plugs or caps. By doing so, the ear can not compensate the pressure difference, so it hurts.
There are many diseases that are accompanied by ear pain, To a query on a specific problem of the ear, see “Ear diseases” on the listing below.
More information on earache.
TABLE OF COMMON PAINS
|Muscles and sinews|
|Muscular atrophy||Bones and joints|
|Spasms/ache/cramps||Back or spine ache|
|Muscular distensions and tears||Neck pain|
|Stomach ache||Period pains|
25 May, 2021