Properties and advantages of homemade yogurt
Why to make yogurts at home?
Homemade yogurts are very simple and easy to prepare by yourself. Among the advantages of preparing yogurts at home, we have:
- It is a very easy and quick recipe to prepare
- Cheaper than buying yogurts individually
- More ecological because when making yogurt at home with large containers (usually glass), less plastic containers are used, transport is saved, etc.
- More nutritious since they contain much more healthy principles as when we add them homemade flavors from medicinal plants such as rosemary or lemon ( hepatoprotectives as ursolic acid from rosemary , antioxidants such as lemon flavonoids, etc. Depending on the herbs used, digestive properties are provided, ideal for dessert.
- Healthier if you avoid adding sugars or sweeteners and you consume natural yogurt or only with natural ingredients: chopped fruit, spices ( cinnamon, fennel etc.
Homemade yogurt for osteoporosis
It has been very inculcated among the population that yogurt is very rich in calcium and therefore good for osteoporosis (although there are many influential factors in bone health, not just calcium).
As a result, there are ” yogurts for bones and osteoporosis” on the market that carry twice as much calcium as a normal yogurt. Unfortunately, these are usually accompanied by a lot of sugar or artificial sweeteners, not to mention their high cost.
Well, we can also make very rich calcium yogurts at home, in addition, better than any commercial product, adding some ground sesame seeds to the milk.
Importance of homemade yogurt
Making homemade yogurt is a very simple and highly recommended recipe, both for the nutritional value of this food, and for the importance of reducing the environmental impact of consuming so many plastic products.
It also invites us to meet new natural ingredients, try new recipes and experiment with healthy eating, moving away from the artificial flavors provided by industrial yogurts, often sweetened with industrial jams or sugary fruit.
* Go on reading to see how to prepare a flavored homemade yogurt
More information on yogurt and probiotics
7 October, 2021