How to make yogurt flavors at home
Homemade yogurt with lemon and rosemary flavor
The recipe presented below is a homemade yogurt flavored with lemon and rosemary, a very easy and absolutely delicious preparation. It also explains how to make homemade yogurt, a very simple recipe and a highly recommended practice, with many advantages.
How to prepare homemade yogurt?
Preparing homemade yogurt is very simple, easy, economical and recommended:
- Add the content of a commercial yogurt to a liter of organic or trusted milk. Commercial yogurt is necessary because it contains fermentative bacteria or «Lactobacillus«. To do this you must choose a natural yogurt, which only contains milk and milk ferments in the ingredients. You can also use a bifidus yogurt that contains only milk and ferments.
- It can be distributed in glass containers or tubs, depending on the format in which it will be used.
- Let stand at room temperature for 1 night. In about 12 hours, depending on the temperature can be a little more, yogurt has already been obtained
- Homemade yogurt can be kept refrigerated for a week.
- You can make homemade soy yogurt (vegan) using a vegetable drink instead of milk, and using a soy yogurt that contains ferments in the ingredients. If you want to enrich with calcium, you can add a few teaspoons of ground sesame seeds.
Recipe to flavor a homemade yogurt
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 600 gr of homemade yogurt, without added sugar, or the equivalent of 5 commercial yogurts (preferably organic).
- 8 tablespoons (about 120g) ground almonds
- 200 ml (1 glass) of mineral water to infuse rosemary
- A good bunch of rosemary. Rosemary can be dry, fresh, or in bloom (it will give more aroma in flower)
- A teaspoon of lemon peel
- Optional: 4 tablespoons of panela or unrefined sugar, or stevia sweetener or birch sugar
Preparation of homemade yogurt with rosemary aroma
- How to prepare rosemary infusion? When the water boils, turn off the heat, throw the bunch of rosemary, stir and cover.
- Let the rosemary rest in the infusion water for 5 minutes and remove the herbs from the liquid so that it does not bitter. If the rosemary is allowed to stand too long, the infusion becomes bitter.
- Let the infusion water cool.
- How to obtain ground almonds? They can be bought in stores (almond flour) or made at home, crushing about 120 grams of raw and dried almonds.
- Once the infusion is warm or cold, mix the infusion with ground almonds and lemon zest. If desired, in this step you can add sugar or sweetener
- Beat it with the electric mixer.
- Then, add the yogurt little by little, mixing gently with a spoon. It has to be creamy.
- Cool in refrigeration and consume after about 6 hours, because when the almond is hydrated it increases the creaminess a little and thickens.
It is a delicious yogurt, with aromas of lemon and rosemary. These two flavors, lemon and rosemary, combine very well.
This recipe can be prepared with other variations. For example, you can make fruit yogurt by adding a few fruits to the milk and crushing them, before putting the ferment (yogurt). You can use bananas, strawberries, etc, …
Another delicious option is to mix the milk with carob (about 4 tablespoons of carob flour per liter) to get a chocolate-colored yogurt and also very sweet and rich in soluble fiber (provided by carob).
It has been seen that consuming carob helps lower cholesterol and improves intestinal flora. As with the fruit, commented on in the previous paragraph: it is better to add it before putting the ferment (yogurt).
You could also mix the yogurt with some pure cocoa, which can be sweetened with the carob flour, mentioned above (2 measures of cocoa per 1 of carob).
This recipe is original and courtesy of Montserrat Enrich, author of the blog Gastronomia salvatge
More information on yogurt and probiotics
17 January, 2021