Couscous, a very nutritional dish
NUTRITIONAL PROPERTIES OF COUSCOUS
Benefits of coscous
- Couscous is an energetic food, that is easily digested, ideal for people with difficult digestion, people with poor appetite and athletes before competition.
- The main nutrient of couscous are carbohydrates, which in turn are rich in vitamin B making it an ideal food for the brain. A low carbohydrate diet favors states of nervousness, while foods with a healthy contribution in this nutrient as couscous have a relaxant action for the nervous system and allow us to study and think with the utmost attention.
- Fresh vegetables are rich in vitamin C, which is destroyed by heat. A salad is a good source of vitamins and phytochemicals with antioxidant properties, which will help to maintain the health of our body.
- This recipe is NOT suitable for people with celiac disease or gluten allergies. For those people, couscous can be substituted for buckwheat or millet cooked and drained.
HOW TO PREPARE COSCOUS?
Ingredients of couscous
A dish with couscous
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 tablespoon currants
- 1 tablespoon julienned onion
- 1 tablespoon diced tomato
- Corn salad
- ½ tablespoon butter or margarine
- Olive oil
Elaboration of couscous
- Wash and chop all ingredients.
- Put the raisins to soak to hydrate
- Place the onion cut into pieces in a bowl of water (which does not pay), salt and vinegar. In this way we avoid the spicy flavor of the onion, which some people find indigestible.
- To properly prepare couscous must know that couscous is a food that does not need cooking on fire, but that is prepared with warm water only.
- Put the same amount of warm (not boiling) than couscous in a bowl to hydrate. Add the butter and stir. Do not wring, nor is it necessary to remove constantly. Only should stand up to hydrate.
- Drain the currants.
- Drain the onion so that it does not taste like vinegar.
- Mix the diced tomato, onion, lettuce and salt. We can add spices like cumin, oregano and turmeric.
- Add the couscous and mix.
- Season with olive oil.
When to eat couscous
Serve as a starter or accompaniment.
* Go on reading: Characteristics of couscous
More information on plants
26 May, 2021