- 1 Nutritional benefits of grapefruit
- 1.1 Antioxidant properties of grapefruit
- 1.2 What antioxidants are there in grapefruit?
- 1.3 Grapefruit antioxidants to purify your body
- 1.4 OTHER NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS OF GRAPEFRUIT
- 1.5 Grapefruit to treat cold and flu symptoms
- 1.6 Grapefruit for weight loss
- 1.7 Grapefruit is rich in folic acid
- 1.8 Grapefruit to treat or prevent anemia
- 1.9 Grapefruit for better digestion
Nutritional benefits of grapefruit
Antioxidant properties of grapefruit
Grapefruits are rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C is primarily a very powerful antioxidant, capable of neutralizing free radicals in the body. Besides vitamin C, grapefruit has many principles that make this fruit a natural remedy against many physical illnesses, especially those that occur as a result of the deterioration of the body under the negative influence of external and internal factors.
Many diseases may be a consequence of this deterioration, such as cancer, macular degeneration, circulatory diseases, premature aging, etc..)
What antioxidants are there in grapefruit?
The advantage of grapefruits and other citrus (oranges, lemons, limes, etc) is that, besides vitamin C, they are accompanied by almost 40 antioxidant principles capable of preserving such an important vitamin and allowing the body to take a better advantage of it.
Among the main antioxidant principles grapefruit is rich in, we have the following:
- Vitamin C.
- Naringenin and hesperidin, two bioflavonoids whose influence in preventing the development of cancer cells has been amply demonstrated.
- Rutin, hesperidin, lycopene and quercetrin are other flavonoids able to increase the elasticity of arteries and promote a better blood circulation, preventing the occurrence of cardiovascular diseases such as heart attacks, varicose veins or hemorrhoids. Besides these, we might add another antioxidants as camphene, lutein, selenium, tryptophan, etc.
- Beta carotene, that is transformed into vitamin A, another vital antioxidant, very important for the health of your eyes or your hair
Grapefruit antioxidants to purify your body
It was precisely because of its antioxidant properties that grapefruit juice has been used in natural cleansing cures to ” purify the body” and “lower weight.
The “grapefruit diet “came into vogue in the 1970s, to the point that, according to the Department of Agriculture of the United States, consumption of grapefruit in New York in 1983 reached fifth place in the ranking of the most purchased fresh fruit after potatoes, lettuce, oranges and apples. (More information on “Grapefruit Diet”)
OTHER NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS OF GRAPEFRUIT
Grapefruit to treat cold and flu symptoms
Grapefruit, like lemons or oranges, has been traditionally used to fight flu or cold. It is now known that vitamin C can not prevent or avoid cold or flu, although it is something true that this vitamin decreases the symptoms of these diseases and helps the sick person to heal more quickly.
Grapefruit for weight loss
Grapefruit is a very light food because of its low amount in carbohydrates and fat. Besides its low calorific value, we must bear in mind that this fruit has very popular diuretic properties, capable of increasing the elimination of fluids.
Its high content of potassium, magnesium and calcium, combined with a low content in sodium, favours diuresis. Other components in grapefruit that can increase the body’s metabolism and help you lose fluid are caffeic acid, asparagine and caffeine.
Regular use of grapefruit favours people with gout, hypertension, uric acid, arthritis, obesity and water retention. They can be eaten as a diuretic remedy to prevent the formation of kidney stones. In spite of this, it must be discouraged for people with cystitis or kidney failure since, overstimulating urine output could worsen their condition.
Grapefruit is rich in folic acid
Grapefruits contain high amounts of folic acid (vitamin B9). Everybody knows how important this vitamin is in the proper development of the fetus. Many mothers, in the absence of this vitamin, should take supplements to prevent bad formations of fetus neural tube. Eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice will help pregnant women prevent this risk, being and alternative to folic acid supplements.
Grapefruit to treat or prevent anemia
We must not forget the role that folic acid plays in the metabolism of proteins and the formation of red blood cells. Consuming this fruit help prevent the occurrence of iron deficiency anemia, anemia occurring because low levels of iron prevent the proper manufacture of red blood cells needed for the necessary transmission of oxygen to the cells.
Grapefruit for better digestion
Grapefruits possess choleretic properties. That’s to say, they stimulate the production of bile from the liver. At the same time, they also have cholagogue properties, stimulating the release of stored bile in the gallbladder.
These properties favour digestion in people with “lazy stomachs.” However, overstimulation of the digestive juices is not very suitable for people with sensitive stomachs, such as people with ulcer gastritis or stomach acidity.
More information on grapefruit.
19 October, 2021