How to prepare a wild flowers salad
Salad with wild flowers
Wild flowers salad recipe
- Wild leaves: Lettuce leaves, rocket leaves, or similar. You can add fresh wild leaves such as those of oregano, sage, burnet, mallow, Sorrel, dandelion, violet , lemon balm, celery, basil, mint, fennel, …
- Wild Flowers: poppy petals, violet flowers, mallow flowers, calendula,…
- Olive oil and salt to taste
Photo of wild leaves
– Wash all the leaves with water and drain. It is important to check that they do not have red spots or they are not damaged.
– Cut the leaves into pieces.
– Add the leaves, one by one gently to the salad. Mix the ingredients with care not to damage the flowers.
– Remove the petals of calendula and poppy and spread on top.
– Optionally, add nuts or fruits.
– Dress with olive oil and salt to taste.
– Serve as a starter or as an accompaniment.
Photo of wild leaves, flowers and fruits salad (chopped rose hips have been added)
Properties of wild flower salads?
- They are rich in fiber and beta carotene, components that help improve health. In general, all wild ingredients are rich in antioxidants and flavonoids.
- In order the recipe to have more properties, you must know some details about the best time to harvest: for example, it is better to pick calendula flowers from 12-1 at midday because that’s the time when higher concentration of flavonoids are found in its floral chapter (Flavonoids protect flowers from the sun rays).
Recipe courtesy of Montserrat Enrich’s Blog: “Wild Gastronomy“.
More information about wild plants in the kitchen.
15 October, 2019