Advantages and disadvantages of eating olives
Benefits and problems that can cause the consumption of olives
WHAT KIND OF FOOD ARE THE OLIVES?
Olives are a fruit, from which oil is sometimes extracted, due to its content of monounsaturated fatty acids, which are heart-healthy.
How much does an olive weigh?
An olive usually weighs about 3 g on average.
How much oil does 1 kg of olives produce?
Not all olives have the same productive level of extractable oil.
Of the olive with high production of oil, it can be extracted on 25-30% of extra virgin oil, by cold pressing and by mechanical systems, (without the application of solvents or temperature that increase its extraction and production)
How many calories does an olive have?
An olive has an average of about 4 or 5 calories.
Are olives fattening?
The amount of fat ingested, per serving recommended per day, does not usually lead to a considerable increase in weight, as long as its consumption is, as we said, the indicated and not excessive.
Obviously, if the food is consumed in excess, it can lead to an increase in caloric intake, which leads to an increase in weight.
How many olives should one eat a day?
It is recommended to eat about 7 olives daily
WHAT ARE THE OLIVES GOOD FOR?
Olives help prevent cardiovascular diseases
For its content in vitamin A and vitamin C, with antioxidant properties, as well as its richness in unsaturated fatty acids, olives contribute to maintain the health of the arteries and the heart, preventing heart attacks, poor circulation, arteriosclerosis, stroke, etc.
Benefits of the fat of the olives
About 80% of its weight is water, its fat content is around 10%.
The fat that the olives give us is composed of unsaturated fatty acids in 80% and the remaining 20% are saturated fatty acids.
Among the unsaturated, we find monounsaturated (oleic acid) and polyunsaturated (omega 3 and omega 6) both with very healthy effects in our body.
However, the quantities of oleic acid, which is monounsaturated, are much higher and greater, compared to the relatively low amounts of linoleic and linolenic acids, which are polyunsaturated and essential, of the families of omega 6 and omega 3 respectively .
Vitamin E content of olives
At the level of its vitamin E content, 100 grams of olives give us 3 mg of vitamin E.
The drained net weight of a standard-sized can of olives is 150 grams.
The CDR (recommended daily amount), are 12mg of vitamin E a day, so olives are considered an aid to meet the demands of this vitamin but they must be completed with other foods rich in it, not to increase too much caloric intake and consumption of this food.
What are the differences between black olives and green olives?
Black olives and green olives are not olives of different kinds. Black olives are olives that are ripe, while green olives have this color because they have not matured enough.
Green olives have a harder flesh and a more bitter taste than green ones
What are the properties of green olives and black olives?
Nutritionally their food properties are similar Olives are usually sold seasoned with pickles, garlic, onions or other condiments
DISADVANTAGES OF OLIVES
Potential drawbacks in dyslipidemia (cholesterol and triglycerides)
It is possible that in case of overweight or obesity, with high cholesterol levels, a moderation in consumption is required.
But not because it results in a bad contribution of healthy fats, but because of its caloric content, its sodium content and because the consumption of total fat in people with high cholesterol or triglycerides should be moderated and controlled.
Possible inconveniences in hypertension
We must bear in mind that a high sodium intake could increase some risk factors associated with the state of dyslipidemia.
That is to say, that high cholesterol is usually associated with other affectations that often occur at the same time, such as hypertension, with which we must control the consumption of olives, because they are two risk factors that enhance each other , with negative consequences for health if not properly controlled.
More information on olives.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.
"Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication.