Diet for constipation
RECOMMENDED FOOD FOR CONSTIPATION
DIET FOR CONSTIPATION
What food should I eat to avoid constipation?
Following a proper diet is the best way to prevent constipation. The adoption of a diet based on foods rich in fiber can help remedy constipation or prevent their occurrence.
Foods rich in fiber useful for constipation
It is very important to drink at least 2 liters of water a day, along with high-fiber foods. Water improves the effectiveness of fiber.
Among all them we will stand out the following:
- Whole cereals: Whole bread made form whole wheat flour or from other whole cereals is ideal to combat constipation. Its high fiber content produces an increase in intestinal peristaltism and eases greatly evacuation.
On the other hand, They are foods rich in essential minerals for health. Whole pasta realizes a similar function to whole bread.
- Vegetables: They are also very rich in fiber, minerals and vitamins. Its high water content, together with the high amount of fiber, increases the volume of stool which stimulates intestine and promotes bowel evacuation. Spinach, cabbages, chards, cauliflowers, asparaguses, endives, carrots, etc.
- Legumes : They are the ideal laxatives because of their richness in fiber. They also provide lots of protein. Peas, lentils, chick peas, soybeans, and beans are specially recommended.
- Fruits: They provide a lot of fiber, that portion of the plant that our digestive system can not digest, but it is so important for the expulsion of the feces. Eating plenty of fiber does not only represent a useful way to prevent constipation.
Recent studies have shown that a diet high in fiber reduces cholesterol, helps diabetics to control blood sugar and prevents the occurrence of colon cancer. Fruits rich in fiber are: carambolas, pomegranates, pears, strawberries, apples, citrus fruits (oranges, lemons, limes, etc), blueberries, avocados, mangos, kiwis, grapes - mostly in the form of raisins.
High fiber foods for preventing constipation
The following foods are especially interesting for the control of constipation:
- Dried plums or prunes: Dried plums are almost five times richer in fiber than fresh plums, which makes them particularly interesting in the diet of constipation. We can use a famous remedy of eating breakfast two or three dry plum have been left soaking in water overnight. We will drink the water of this preparation.
Prune juice is particularly interesting because of its high content of sorbitol and hidroxifenil-isatin. It constitutes an authentic natural medicine to cure constipation.
Having problems of intestinal retention or diverticulitis, it is very helpful to eat dried plums well chewed or drink the their juice.
- Figs: Particularly rich in fiber, they are well known for their laxative properties. A recipe that works well is as follows: Boil 3 figs in water for 15 minutes. Let it go down at night and drink the liquid and eat the figs the next morning. You can also eat fresh o dry figs for constipation.
- Pineapples: Pineapples exercise a regulatory function of the intestine, both by their ability to remove putrefaction or by his power as a laxative in case of constipation.
Foods to be avoided in the constipation diet
Low fiber foods should be avoided or restricted when someone suffers from constipation, specially those made with white flour or refined products. Vegetables and fruits juices contain little fiber in general, since fiber is removed from when squeezed or pressed.
For people suffering from constipation it should be very interesting to add it to the extracted juice.
The main plant foods that contain little fiber are:
- White bread, cakes, muffins, biscuits cracker or pastry made with white sugar or white flour.
- Refined grain breakfast cereals.
- White rice.
- Refined flour pasta
- Fruit juices, except prune juice.
- Vegetable juices
More information about constipation natural treatment in the listing above.
Other interesting articles
This material is for informational purposes only. In case of doubt, consult the doctor.