Herbal treatment for backache
Phytotherapy: Medicinal plants preparations for backache
- Willow (Salix sp.): Because of its content in salicin, principle of aspirin. (Decoction of a tiny amount (2 gr.) of the dry crust per water glass. Take two or three cups per day. Children of 4 to 10 years half a dose. It must not be taken in case of allergy to aspirin.
- Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) Rich in parthenolide to inhibit serotonin, a neurotransmitter responsible for carrying pain information to the brain. (Infusion of a spoonful of dry leaves. Take two cups a day) (Prepared capsules. for dosing see leaflet) Do not administer during pregnancy because it may be abortive
- Mint, peppermint: (Mentha x piperita, Mentha rotundifolia) Very useful to solve back pains (Infusion of a spoonful of flowering tops per cup of water. Take a couple of cups a day)
- St. John’s wort: (Hypericum perforatum) It constitutes a good remedy for sore body especially those caused by rheumatism, gout, arthritis, sciatica, low back pain… etc (Infusion of a flowering tops teaspoon in a cup of water a couple of times daily) Phototoxic plant. See Contraindications.
St John’s wort ready to make an infusion
- Rosemary: (Rosmarinus officinalis) Slightly lowers the pain of menstruation and facilitates the discharge, avoiding collateral problems such as headaches, backache, stomach ache, etc. (Infusion of a spoonful of flowering tops. 2 cups per day)
EXTERNAL USE PREPARATIONS FOR BACKACHE
Baths to treat backache
- St. John’s wort: (Hypericum perforatum) (Spray the back with essential oil diluted in olive oil) (Sitz baths with the resulting liquid of having the plant for 10 hours immersed in cold water. Strain and pour hot in the bathroom) Phototoxic plant. See Contraindications
- Rosemary: (Rosmarinus officinalis), thyme (Thymus vulgaris) and sage (Salvia officinalis): Very useful as muscle relaxants in pain caused by stretching or straining too hard without prior preparation.
(Rub the back with a mixture of 10 drops of essential oil in two tablespoons of Olive oil. Do not drink the essential oil.) (Add 20 drops to bath water. Take a bath for 15 or 20 minutes) (Add to bath water the infusion of 3 tablespoons of dried plant in a liter of water. Take a bath for 15 to 20 minutes)
Compresses to treat backache
- Mint, peppermint: (Mentha piperita, Mentha rotundifolia) (Apply a compress soaked with the decoction of leaves and flowers on the affected zone) (poultice of leaves soaked in hot water to be applied directly over the painful area.)
- Vervain (Verbena officinalis) (Decoction of a handful of leaves in water for 15 minutes. Wet a compress and apply to the painful area).
More information on backache.
TABLE OF COMMON PAINS
|Muscles and sinews|
|Muscular atrophy||Bones and joints|
|Spasms/ache/cramps||Back or spine ache|
|Muscle pain||Neck pain|
|Stomach ache||Period pains|
21 February, 2023