Herbal treatment of asthma
Phytotherapy. Medicinal plants to treat asthma
The function of phytotherapy in the treatment of the asthma will be focused on the use of plants with the following properties:
– Anti-inflammatory plants that reduce inflammation, being a good alternative to asthma inhalers, because of the side effects that its use entails.
– Antitussive plants, that decrease coughing
– Antispasmodic plants, to prevent spasms caused by asthma attacks.
– Soothing plants for the respiratory mucosa
– Antihistaminic plants, that help breathing
Internal use preparations with medicinal plants for asthma
Among all the suitable medicinal herbs to treat asthma, we can point out the following:
– Liquorice: (Glycyrrhiza glabra) Besides its bactericidal properties, liquorice has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties of the respiratory mucosa so that the root is very suitable for the treatment of respiratory ailments such as sore throats, coughing, chest loaded with colds, asthma etc. (Make a decoction with a teaspoon of dried root per cup of water. Take three glasses per day maximum) (See possible toxicity in the complete study of the plant)
– Anise: (Pimpinella anisum) Used in the treatment of asthma will help to improve breathing by decreasing the secretions in the chest of the sick person. We must not forget that this plant contains about 40 early anti-inflammatory can relieve constipation bronchi that causes this disease. Antitussive properties attacks reduce coughing. (Infusion half teaspoon mixed with equal parts of thyme, mint and anise. Drink two or three cups a day)
– Angelica / Wild celery: (Angelica silvestris L.) (Maceration during 30 minutes by dry roots in boiling water. A cup after each food).
– Sundew (Drosera spp.) Common sundew has anti-inflammatory and antitussive properties appropriate to relieve asthma. (Infusion of 1 – 2g. Per cup, three times a day. Excerpt: 1 teaspoon every 2 hours to relieve cough)
– Marshmallow: (Althaea officinalis) (Infusion of a spoonful of dried root per cup of water for 10 minutes. 2 cups per day)
Marshmallow leaves and flowers
– Lime: (Citrus aurantifolia) (Infusion of a teaspoon of dried leaves or a piece of lime rind, 3 times a day. Take lime juice 2-3 times a day)
– Kumquat: (Fortunella spp) Vitamin C has antihistamine properties suitable for treating allergies, asthma attacks and other allergic symptoms such as sneezing and mucus. (Take the whole fruit with skin. Infusion of a teaspoon of dried leaves in 1 cup of water, three times a day. Combine with expectorants such as eucalyptus or mint).
– Poppy (Papaver rhoeas) Poppy, for their mucilage content exerts a softening of the antitussive and respiratory mucosa. The use of preparations of this plant helps you breathe better people suffering from asthma and significantly decreases the cough. (Infusion for 15 minutes a teaspoon of dried petals in a pint of water. Drink a glass half-hour morning before breakfast and another at night half an hour before dinner)
– Mulberry (Morus nigra, Morus alba) Mulberry may be beneficial in the treatment of different respiratory conditions, such as asthma (Drink syrup of mulberries)
– Hawthorn: (Craetagus oxycanta L.) (Infusion of dry flowers. Four cups per day)
– Jimson weed: (Datura stramonium L.) (Cigarettes with the leaves) Plant alkaloid. Use with caution!!
– St. John’s wort: (Hipericum perforatum L.) (Infusion of a spoonful of flowers per cup. Three cups per day.)
– Pellitory-of-the-wall: (Parietaria officinalis L.) (Half a spoonful of the dust of the dry leaves three times a day.)
– Rosemary: (Rosmarinus officinalis L.) (Infusion of dried flowers and leaves in wine. Two cups a day)
– Sage (Salvia officinalis) it combats respiratory diseases in general, throat, flu etc.) (decoction of a spoonful of dried leaves per cup. We will take two cups a day). (gargling with this decoction for external use) (Chamomile and sage can be combined to 50% for the same purpose)
– Valerian: (Valerian officinalis L.) (20 gr. of dried root macerated for several hours. Three cups a day
– Chestnut tree: (Castanea sativa Mill.) (Infusion of 4 or 5 tablespoons of dried leaves per liter of water. Take three glasses a day a spoon from time to time, away from meals)
– Eucalyptus: (Eucalyptus globulus)(decoction of a handful of leaves per liter of water. Aspirate vapors covering his head with a cloth) (A traditional treatment, not shared by most of specialists, has been smoking cigarettes prepared with 2 leaves. A couple of cigarettes per day)
– Aquatic mint: (Mentha aquatica.) (Infusion of a teaspoon of dry leaves. 3 cups to the day after the meals.)
– Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) (Lick a mint caramel when a cough attack appears.) (10 minutes infusion of a spoonful of the dried plant. Drink two glasses per day)
– Angelica (Angelica archangelica)
– Honeysuckle (Lonicera caprifolium) (Infusion of a spoonful of dried flowers per cup of water. Take a couple of cups a day)
– Mullein (Verbascum thapsus, V. odoratum) with expectorant properties, it is used for most respiratory symptoms, especially in the treatment of bronchitis and asthma. Encourages use and improves breathing wheezing of asthmatics. (Infusion for 10 minutes a teaspoon of dried flowers per cup. Strain and drink 3 cups a day)
– Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens) Reduces inflammation and asthma to breathe better. (Decoction of a handful of leaves per liter of water. (Steam baths with hot water in which about 8 drops of essential oil have been dissolved)
– Pine: (Pinus sylvestris) Pine has many components with anti-asthmatic properties (ascorbic acid, limonene, quercetin, carotenoids, terpineol, etc.) All these components help reduce inflammation, decrease the cough and contribute to a better breathing of the person asthma. (Decoction for 5 minutes three tablespoons of buds per liter of water. Drinking three cups a day)
Pine tree cone buds and needles
– Juniper (Juniperus communis) the antiasthmatic capacity of terpineol and terpinen-4-ol, give healing properties for the treatment of asthma. The use of this plant helps to soothe coughs and spasms of the people affected by the disease (maceration five tablespoons dried berries in a pint of white wine during seven days. Strain and drink a couple of drinks a day)
– Linden (Tilia x europaea, Tilia platyphyllos, cordata Tilia): Its antispasmodic properties can be useful to prevent spasms caused by asthma attacks. (Infusion of a half teaspoon of dried flowers per cup of water. 2 glasses per day)
– Violet: (Viola odorata) the capacity of the violet to reduce mucosal inflammation and its anti-cough properties are very interesting for asthma sufferers. The preparations from this plant can reduce coughing and allow less inflamed airways, which facilitates better breathing for those affected by asthma. (40 drops of tincture daily spread over three daily doses. Can be obtained from pharmacies or herbalists)
Thyme: (Thymus vulgaris) can be used to relieve sore throat if you have angina. or when the chest is loaded with very persistent cough. (Take three cups a day with the infusion of one teaspoon of dried flower per cup)
Melissa (Melissa officinalis) may help to prevent spasms caused by asthma attacks. (Infusion of one tablespoon per cup of water for 15 minutes. Three or four glasses a day),
Coltsfoot: (Tussilago Farfara L.) (Cigarettes with the dry leaves).
Other natural remedies to treat asthma
– Supplements of reishi mushrooms: (Ganoderma lucidum): The natural antihistamines contained in this fungus is effective in reducing allergic reactions and reduce the inflammation of asthma. It has been proven that people suffering from asthma improves enough to use reishi supplements. (Ingesting supplements according to the prospectus conditions)
– Supplements of pyridoxine in the treatment of the asthma
More information about asthma.
Natural treatment of asthma
28 March, 2019