Suitable food to treat cough
The intake of foods rich in vitamin C, E and A is a good way to strengthen the body and prevent the onset of respiratory disease causing cough.
- vitamin A The highest proportion of this vitamin comes from animal food. It can be found in big amounts in liver, egg yolk, fish -especially blue fish- and butter.
For vegetarian people, there are many plant foods that contain this vitamin in the form of provitamine A or carotenoids, such as beta-carotene which is a flavonoid from the group of carotenoids. The body transforms this principle into vitamin A.
Among the food plants containing carotenes we can dispose of carrots, purslane, spinach , watercress, borage , basil, pumpkin , tomato, , asparagus, dandelion etc. Whole grains or legumes are also foods rich in vitamin B
- vitamin C: Peppers are one of the plants in the world that has more quantity, after the acerola (Malpighia glabra ) or dog rose (Rosa canina). Citrus fruits are also very rich in this vitamins (oranges, lemons, grapefruits, etc.).
Dark green leafy vegetables such as cabbage or broccoli are important sources of this vitamin. Other plants that contain this vitamin include cauliflowers, radishes, Brussels sprouts, spinach, bananas, apples, melons, watermelons, carrots, pineapples, pears, papayas, barley, garlics, celery, peas, strawberries, grapes, figs, beans, chicory, blueberries, potatoes, avocados, soybeans, cherimoyas, pomegranates, coconuts, etc.
Orange juice cough? : Because of the content in vitamin C orange juice is been considered as one of the best remedies for cough. there is a well-known home remedy consisting in taking only orange juice diluted in warm water every 2 hours till cough attack is being reduced.
Grape juice cough? : Apart from its wealth in vitamin C, grapes are very rich in expectorant components ( acetic acid, betaine, limonene, linalool and geraniol). This components are suitable to treat cough, specially that one require expectoration. ( Take a cup of grape juice sweetened with honey)
- Vitamin E : Plants that have this vitamin are vegetable fats: The wheat germ oil
(22.1 mg per 100 g), sunflower seeds (14, 8 mg per ounce), (hazelnuts
(6.7 mg per ounce), sunflower oil (6.3 mg per ounce), toasted almonds
(6.7 mg per ounce), soy lecithin (9.21 mg per 100 g) olive oil (1 , 67
mg per teaspoon). Other plant sources have lesser amounts, such as
apples (1.6 mg per apple) or asparagus (0.4 mg per two stems). Mango and avocado also have smaller amounts. Many other vegetables have
vitamin E but in such small amounts that are not worth naming.
The only possible way to come to ingest large quantities of this vitamin, without getting fat by vegetable fats, is through supplementation.
- Eat food with immunostimulating properties: These kind of food helps to strengthen the immune system making the body less likely to become infected.
Among these food, garlic or onion are worth mentioning . Both contain allicin with bactericidal, antiviral and immunostimulating properties . Using plenty of garlic, or eating onions abundantly can be a useful way of preventing flu or other diseases to take profit of a weakened inmune system. A garlic soup, for example, is an easy way to raise our defenses.
Foods that contain folate or vitamin B also help strengthen the immune system. Good sources of folate are the dark green leafy vegetables such beets or those foods belonging to cabbage group (cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, or broccoli) .
Mushrooms are also becoming very interesting as inmune stimulant food, specially some types of mushrooms such as shiitake or maitake. You can by them in most supermarkets.
- Milk and cough ? : Hot milk provides nutrients (iron, calcium and protein) that can increase the body's defenses adequately. Skimmed milk is better to avoid cholesterol. Equally interesting are the products derived from milk, preferably nonfat products , such as cheese or yogurt.
A good way to enhance the anti-flu properties of milk is to add a tablespoon of honey or small piece of crushed ginger to our cup of hot milk.
However, in spite of this good properties, many dieticians and doctors advise not to drink milk since it can increase mucus production what may worsen cough attacks.
More information about cough natural treatment in the listing above.
The information given is informative. In case of doubt, consult the doctor. "Botanical" is not responsible for damages caused by self-medication