Diet for chemotherapy
NUTRITIONAL SUPPORT FOR CANCER TREATMENT
Is diet very important during chemotherapy?
A proper diet for cancer may help treat unwanted effects that may occur with methods to treat cancer, such as chemotherapy effects.
The changes in diet should be supervised by a specialist.
Chemotherapy diet instructions
How should be a diet for chemotherapy?
The diet should be, above all, very nutritious: Nutrient needs of a cancer patient are always higher than those of a healthy person.
When a person with cancer began or will begin chemotherapy sessions, she/she should make a diet with specific characteristics to prevent side effects of treatment.
For example, eating properly will avoid or reduce (as this is the case in chemotherapy treatment) nausea and vomiting. This, in turn, will help severe malnutrition, in which the forces are lost to combat the disease.
Diet for chemotherapy must also help increase the defenses and the quality of life of the person under this treatment.
Diet before chemotherapy session
Three days before the session of chemotherapy, a diet for gastritis is recommended, for example with then following recommendations:
- Simple cooking (NOT frying): Soups, cream, boiled, papillote; eg. vegetable salad, mashed potatoes, cream of zucchini, etc.
- Foods that are digested well: Vegetables with boiled potatoes, boiled rice, baked apple, etc.
- No tough diet: broiled food, roasts, barbecues and legumes.
- Citrus are NOT recommended as they can have a laxative effect. Avoid oranges, lemons, grapefruits, etc.
- Do not eat foods that irritate the stomach: peppers, tomatoes, alcohol, coffee, chocolate, high-fat meals, etc.
- Avoid hot spices.
BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER CHEMOTHERAPY DRINKING A LOT IS NECESSARY BECAUSE KIDNEYS NEED TO REMOVE MANY TOXICS. MANY CASES OF RENAL FAILURE HAVE BEEN REPORTED BECAUSE OF NOT DRINKING ENOUGH LIQUID.
A PATIENT UNDER CHEMOTHERAPY SHOULD DRINK AT LEAST 2 LITERS A DAY.
The best foods for a patients under chemotherapy are those that can improve the patient’s mood, those that help reduce fatigue and regain energy.
– What fats to eat during chemotherapy
– Minerals and vitamins for chemotherapy
– Carbohydrates for chemotherapy
– What to drink during chemotherapy
– Diet during and after chemotherapy
– How to overcome vomiting from chemotherapy
More information on cancer and food.
28 January, 2022