Herbal remedies for gout
Phytoterapy: Herbal teas to treat gout
Besides diet, proper use of medicinal plants can either favor the non-appearance of the disease or it can improve the lives of those who suffer it.
Among the most recommended plants we distinguish the following:
Internal use depurative medicinal preparations for gout
Depurative plants increase urination and promote the expulsion of uric acid and decongest the joints. As it is so interesting to increase diuresis – elimination of water in the urine – we understand the need to increase the amount of water that we drink daily and take a very modest contribution in sodium, although we must consider the contraindications described below.
Most of these plants benefit the body by cleansing it by means of increasing urination, so they should not be taken in case of hypotension of low blood pressure.
Similarly, the presence of tannins in many of these plants can cause intestinal discomfort, consequently they should be avoided when the patient has gastrointestinal ulcer or gastritis
Main depurative remedies for gout
– Horsetail (Equisetum arvense) The horsetail constitutes one of the most diuretic species in all the plants. That is to say that it possesses a great capacity to eliminate water from the body, in such a point to increase urination up to 30% more than what is habitual.
This fact makes that its scientific name Equisetum arvense generally appears in the composition of most of products that habitually are sold to reduce weight. This property is due to the action of several components, among which it is necessary to highlight equisetonin and potassium, but there are another ones that also take part such as calcium, magnesium, ascorbic acid and caffeic acid. (Decoction for 30 minutes of a handful of dried plant in a liter of water. Take 3 cups a day) (See toxicity and contraindications in the general study of this plant)
– Willow (Salix alba, Salix purpurea) Its content in salicin becomes salicylic acid in the organism inhibiting the prostaglandins and reducing the pain sensation, specially if we consider that, besides being analgesic, it also presents anti inflammatory properties. Therefore, it can be used to palliate the pain in all type of manifestations: headache, muscular pains, fibromyalgia, sciatica, earaches, rheumatic pains, pains in the menstruation, etc.
The treatments carried out with this plant should be prolonged during some time so that they can have their effect, since it doesn’t act as quick as the aspirin, although it really becomes a natural treatment to the use of this product. (3% decoction of the bark, for a quarter on an hour. Take three cups per day) (See toxicity and contraindications in the general study of this plant)
– Guanabana or soursop (Annona muricata)With diuretic properties. People with gout can take it to help eliminate toxins from the body.
– Moringa (Moringa oleifera): The diuretic and depurative capacity of this plant makes it very suitable both in case of renal lithiasis, excess of uric acid, and the treatment of gout.
– Agave (Agave americana) (Infusion of 5 tablespoons of dried leaves per liter of water. Take four cups with a little honey.)
– Goldenrod (Solidago virgaurea) (Infusion of 1 tablespoon per cup, let stand 5 minutes. Take 2 times a day. 1 time every two hours in acute gout or arthritis)
– Fucus (Fucus vesiculosus) The elimination of fluids help to improve the joints of gout or arthritis patients.
– Lime (Citrus aurantifolia) (Take lime juice 2 times a day)
– Strawberry (Fragaria vesca) (Three to four cups of the infusion of the leaves and roots)
Strawberry fruits and leaves
– Lemon tree (Citrus limonum) Ascorbic-acid and limonene confer it depurative properties, so that it is an excellent remedy against rheumatism, arthrosis, arthritis, gout, cholesterol, arteriosclerosis and uric acid. (Take the fresh juice of the plant at will)
– Nettle (Urtica dioica) It helps the body to get rid of water, which becomes very interesting on only for the treatment of obesity, but in all these maladies that improve by the riddance of water and toxins: circulatory diseases, hepatic, gout, arthritis, rheumatism, kidney stones, gallstones, etc (Decoction of dry root for 10 minutes. Drink 3 cups a day) (Infusion of 2 teaspoons of dry leaves in a liter of water. 3 times a day before meals.)
– Celery (Apium graveolens) To lower uric acid and prevent gout we can prepare an infusion of 1.5 g of seeds per cup. We will take a couple of cups a day.
– Red Vine (Vitis vinifera) The use of this plant favors the elimination of liquid and helps purify the blood and improve treatment of abnormalities related to excessive retention of body fluids, such as dropsy, gout or arthritis. (Decoction for 1 / 2 hour of, 30 g of tendrils in one liter of water. Allow to cool for 30 minutes, strain, and take 2 glasses per day)
– Pellitory (Parietaria officinalis) (Two or three infusions per day for a couple of tablespoons of dried leaves per liter of water can be used in diseases where it is useful to remove fluid from the body (this remedy can be substituted by tincture. In this case were taken 40 drops daily diluted in water divided into three daily doses)
– Cowslip (Primula officinalis Hill. = Primula veris L) (decoction of a handful of flowers in one pint of water. Take several small glasses a day)
– Linden (Tilia x europaea, Tilia platyphyllos, Tilia cordata): The flowers of the linden have diaphoretic properties, that’s to say they are able to increase the body sweat. Through the sweat, the body is able to eliminate many toxins, so sweating abundance is very effective in case of rheumatism or gout. The elimination of toxins through sweating can lighten the joints and reduce nuisance caused by these diseases. (Infusion of a half teaspoon of dried flowers per cup of water. Take a couple of cups a day. Maintain the treatment for a couple of weeks.)
– Oats (Avena sativa) (Decoction of 5 tablespoons of dried plant per cup of water for 30 minutes. Take a couple of glasses, divided into several doses throughout the day)
– Bistort: (Polygonum bistorta) (Decoction of 5 g. Rhizome. Take three cups daily, between meals)
– Boxwood (Buxus sempervirens.) Decoction of pieces of dried bark per liter of water for a quarter of an hour. One cup a day, divided into 4 doses. Do not take during pregnancy!
– Juniper (Juniperus communis) (Infusion for 10 minutes of half a teaspoon of crushed fruits per cup of water. Drink 3 cups a day) Do not take during pregnancy!
–Meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria) Infusion of a spoonful of dried plant in a cup of hot water, without coming to the boil to destroy not salicylic acid – Take 4 cups a day between meals.
Meadowsweet flowers still in bloom
– Spiny restharrow (Ononis spinosa) (5% decoction of the dried root. 5 cups per day)
– Black currant (Ribes nigrum) (Infusion of 2 to 2.5 tablespoons of dried leaves per liter of water. Take a couple of glasses a day)
– Mossy Whitlow-wort (Paronychia kapela) Infusion of a dessert spoon of flowering tops. Drink three cups a day.
– Soapwort (Saponaria officinalis) Decoction of 50 g. of dried leaves per liter of water. Filter without resting o prevent the formation of toxins. Take 2 glasses per day)
– Pine (Pinus sylvestris) (Decoction for 10 minutes of 5 tablespoons of dried leaves per liter of water. Allow to cool and drink. 3 cups a day.)
– Vervain or Common Verbena (Verbena officinalis) (15-minute infusion of a spoonful of dried plant per cup of water. Take 3 cups a day) Do not take during pregnancy!
– Yucca(Yucca filamentosa) (one or two capsules or tablets per day of plant extract)
These are plants which are able to lower uric acid levels. Among them we can point out the following:
– Cherry tree (Prunus avium): It stimulates urine elimination so its very useful in those cases in which it is necessary to stimulate the kidneys to increase micturition, in illnesses like: obesity, dropsy, gout, arthritis, rheumatism, etc. The two main remedies are the following:
– Decoction of the floral peduncles or dry fruit decoction: Boil during 10 or 12 minutes 40 g. of peduncles after having allowed them to macerate in water for 6 or 7 hours. Filter the preparation. Take three cups a day, after the main meals. It is a treatment that has a great diuretic power and it has to be used with wisdom in those people that have hypotension problems (with low blood pressure, using this treatment can lower blood pressure too much.)
– Infusion of peduncles: Carry out an infusion of a spoonful of peduncles for each cup of water, for 5 minutes. Cool and take three cups a day after the main meals.
– Garlic (Allium sativum) (Decoction 4 cloves of garlic in a liter of water. Take 2 glasses per day) (6 drops a day of liquid extract) (See toxicity and contraindications in the general study of this plant)
– Onion (Allium cepa) (3 little cups per day of the maceration of 300 g. of crushed onion in a liter of wine)
– Potato (Solanum tuberosum) (Eat cooked potatoes)
– Heather (Calluna vulgaris) (infusion of two teaspoons of flowers per cup of water for 15 minutes. Drink three cups a day)
– Birch (Betula alba) (infusion of 40 g. Of dried leaves per liter of water for 10 minutes. Three cups a day.)
– Elm (Populus nigra) (Decoction of bark)
– Poplar (Populus nigra) (Decoction of half a teaspoon of dry bark per cup of water for 10 minutes. Drink two cups a day) (infusion of two teaspoons of dried buds per liter of water for 10 minutes. Drink two or three cups per day)
– Ash (Fraxinus excelsior) (2% decoction of the bark. Take 3 cups a day)
– Goldenrod (Solidago virgo L. aurea) (infusion for 30 minutes of one tablespoon of dried plant per cup of water. Take 3 cups a day)
– Grapevine (Vitis vinifera) (Decoction of 3% of tendrils for 5 minutes. Take 3 cups a day)
– Sarsaparilla (Smilax aspera) (10-minute infusion of one teaspoon per cup of water. Take three glasses a day) In some cases it can irritate your stomach. In this case stop the treatment.
External use preparations for gout
Phytotherapy of this disease is focused externally to relieve joint pain, making it more bearable. in addition to herbal medicine, applying poultices of cold clay several times a day to reduce pain can be most interesting.
Among the plants that can be used for this purpose, we can point out:
– Lady fern (Athyrium filix-foema) (poultice of fresh leaves wrapped in a cloth on the affected joint overnight
– White dead nettle (Lamium album) (waist bath with the infusion of 40 g. of dried plant per liter of water. Pour about 5 liters in the bath water. Remain in the bath for about 20 minutes and then get into bed without drying)
– Hops (Humulus lupulus) (Wet a gauze with a few drops of tincture of hops, diluted in a glass of water and apply on affected area)
More information about gout natural treatment.
24 November, 2020