- 1 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN GREEN TEA AND BLACK TEA
- 2 Table of composition of green tea and black tea
- 3 HOW IS GREEN TEA PRODUCED?
- 4 Caffeine comparison between different types of tea
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN GREEN TEA AND BLACK TEA
What is the difference between black tea and green tea?
Mainly, these two types of teas differ in their production process.
Green tea and black tea are made in the same way (they follow the same production steps), although black tea is subjected to a fermentation process (pseudo-fermentation) which provides it other characteristics.
– Black tea in an oxidized tea: After leaf rolling, black tea remains in a room for two hours to completely oxidize its polyphenols.
– Green tea color is green and rich in chlorophyll.
– Black tea is less antioxidant, but it contains more caffeine because this is released during the fermentation process.
– In black tea, tannins have been oxidized in theaflavins and thearubigins, giving this infusion its reddish components.
– Although not as rich in catechins, black tea contains more anthocyanins than green tea.
Types of tea
Table of composition of green tea and black tea
In the following table of contents we see and compare both, black tea and green tea. They show their approximate values, differences in the concentration of different nutrients, minerals, vitamins, caffeine content and flavonoids, between a dry tea and its final value (real) after realizing an infusion.
|Comparison chart of nutritional composition per 100 g. black tea and green tea|
|Calcium /Phosphorus||2 / 1||2 / 3||440 / 280||470 / 320|
|Sodium / Potassium||2 / 19||2 / 15||3 / 2.200||3 / 2.000|
|Vitamin C (mg)||5||0||250||0|
|Vitamin A (UI)||0||0||13.000||900|
|Vitamin B3 (mg)||0,1||0.2||4||10|
|Caffeine (mg per litre)||0,02||0,05||2.2||2.7|
HOW IS GREEN TEA PRODUCED?
Differences between the active ingredients of green tea and black tea
– When it comes to vitamins, , green tea contains more vitamin A and vitamin C than black tea. In fact, black tea does not contain vitamin C and vitamin A content is more than 13 times lower than in green tea.
– Black tea contains more than twice vitamin B3 than green tea, but, when we make an infusion make these concentrations decrease and almost equal values of both teas.
– Among the flavonoids, we must highlights the high antioxidant content of green tea catechins, which have antioxidant effects. In addition, scientific studies have shown that green tea catechins have slimming effects, against cholesterol, stimulating metabolism and fat burning (thermogenesis).
– Black tea is less antioxidant than green tea because catechins are oxidized to theaflavins and thearubigins, astringent principles that give the color red to black tea infusions.
Caffeine comparison between different types of tea
Among the different types of teas, there are significant differences in their content of caffeine (alkaloid):
– Black tea is richer in caffeine than green tea, with nearly twice the caffeine.
|Related information on green tea:|
More information on tea.
9 July, 2019